• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Any idea what this is or how to remove it?

bannertime

I've got a 3/4in clear acrylic panel that had second surface translucent vinyl. The customer brought this one in to get redone because the letters were coming off. We didn't make the originals and they don't remember when they signs were made.

Issue: This green flaky stuff that is baked onto the acrylic. Originally thought it was a mold or mildew, but it appears to be prat of the vinyl. We can obviously scrape it off, but even with a new blade and lubricant, it still scratches. Soaking with rapid remover, alcohol, or soapy water had no apparent effect.

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_110650165.jpg
    IMG_20190327_110650165.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20190327_110638385.jpg
    IMG_20190327_110638385.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 277

2B

you will have to sand it off or use a removal wheel and then buff the surface smooth again.

have seen this before with low grade that is left way too long in the sun

TimToad

How big is the panel?

How crucial to the client's image is this particular sign?

Have you made any promises about being able to salvage the panel?

Were they warned that the panel might need to be replaced?

Asking for a friend who is a detail freak.

bannertime

Asking for a friend who is a detail freak.

How big is the panel? 3ft x 5ft

How crucial to the client's image is this particular sign? Very crucial, but not really. They said use the opposite side and they'll scrape the rest off.

Have you made any promises about being able to salvage the panel? Nope, never.

Were they warned that the panel might need to be replaced? Due to their time constraint, (one day basically) we didn't.

2B

Yeah, we removed the original letters with heat. I didn't want to buff, but it looks like we'll have to. Sent the customer an update and they said "use another side."

Use another side?............ this face wouldn't happen to be used for backlit, would it?
that would be about right for expectations

bannertime

Use another side?............ this face wouldn't happen to be used for backlit, would it?
that would be about right for expectations

No, it's mounted on stand offs in front of a brick wall. Second surface vinyl. For some reason they used translucent vinyl even though it's front lit.

After multiple confirmations, we'll be applying first surface and they said they'll handle cleaning the back.

Okay, never mind. Just got off the phone. What a nightmare. Sand and Buff time.

bannertime

Said we stole the job from Fast Signs because we had a better price and if we hadn't made them pay a deposit they'd have picked the sign up already. I offered to give the money back and only keep enough to cover what work we've done already.

Johnny Best

Try some 600 wet and dry sandpaper to get it off then 1000 grit wet and dry, compound, and then polish, will look fine and not even know it was there.

bannertime

Try some 600 wet and dry sandpaper to get it off then 1000 grit wet and dry, compound, and then polish, will look fine and not even know it was there.

I think that's what we're going to do. You think we'll need to do the whole side or spot buffing will work? I'm not sure how much distortion would be visible on a panel this thick. Don't typically work with clear.

Johnny Best

Just where the spots are should be fine, you could go over the whole thing was some plastic polish just to make it pretty.
But since it is on the back side you won't notice where you did it. I have a large polishing wheel on an electric motor and with two people holding a 3x5x.75" piece could buff that out quick.