• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on what happened?

duggan

I had a customer come in today to discuss a new wrap for his vehicle. It's a radio station. The last wrap was done 3 years ago. He said he only had one issue with the last wrap, and showed me this. I’ve included the pictures. We used Oracal3651 and a 210 Laminate. Any ideas on what could have caused this? If you can't tell, this is the hood of the vehicle, it has cracked/split. Thanks for the help!

picture.php

CheapVehicleWrap

First off a center seam is unacceptable even in my cheap book. Second it's a horizontal surface. I'd guess a combination of heat/uv and inferior/incorrect product. Non cast vinyl/permanent adhesive.... How long has that cup of joe been sitting there? Removal should be fun.

AceHigh

There is a guy in my area that seams every hood and it drives me CRAZY! I don't know why they think it is easier or?? I only have a 54" Roland and I have never had to seam a hood. You just have to know how to measure I guess??
And CAST, CAST for everything on a vehicle.

duggan

Honestly, I do not know why they seamed the hood. I did not realize they had did that! Very unprofessional!
Thankfully we don't have to remove the vinyl - the wrecked the vehicle!
Cast Vinyl! I'll mark that down! Thanks for the tips!

cdiesel

3 years on a hood is pretty good. Round here, there are no warranties from the manufacturers on horizontal surfaces.. except 8528.

CheapVehicleWrap

3 years on a hood is pretty good. Round here, there are no warranties from the manufacturers on horizontal surfaces.. except 8528.

Yeah, the same warranties with other 3M materials right? Pissing up a rope I believe is the correct terminology.

Just sayin...