Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by njsigns, May 23, 2007.

1. njsigns

njsigns Very Active Member

May 25, 2005
    I just printed 10 of these, the last 2 got screwed up like this. Any ideas what is going on? I'm printing to convex, on a SP-300V from Versaworks.

I'm going to go clean the machine again. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gene

Tags:
  2. njsigns

May 25, 2005
    whoops - forgot the picture.

Thanks,
    Gene

print_problem.jpg

3. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Yeah, it's a head strike. The mat'l isn't laying totally flat for you and the head is subsequently rubbing that raised-up ridge. Try adding another pinch roller if you have them (my 540 has several extras but I'm not sure about the 300). Also, you may try lowering the heat to keep the mat'l from buckling like that.

4. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Looks like head strike to me. Is there a way you can adjust the level of your print heads?

Checkers

5. jkkt

jkkt Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Another vote for the headstrike. Convex is such a thick material you have to keep an eye on it. Try to avoid this or you will be replacing your heads ($600+ part).

6. mike gregson

mike gregson New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    I've had that occur a couple times at the begining of a print as the vinyl heats up and it kind of puckers or gets wavy across the width. It's never happend to me other than in the first few inches of a print. For me, adding pinch rollers hasn't helped. After it feeds across a little further it seems to straighten out, but I've also just stopped the print and sheet cut a few inches or a foot and that seems to flatten out the vinyl.

7. njsigns

May 25, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I didn't want to hear this was the dreaded head strike... Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the print head height? I only have 2 pinch rollers on this model...

Thanks,
    Gene

8. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    You gotta babysit it while it prints, Id adjust the vaccum too so it keeps the material snug against the platen

9. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I don't think you can adjust head height on the SP300

10. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    You cant

11. njsigns

May 25, 2005
    I actually just read that on printingdigital.net.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll be babysitting this machine for the next few hours. I have to admit I haven't learned all the features / functions of this machine yet. I'm going to try what everyone suggested. Ahh, the nightmares of digital printing...

Thanks again,
    Gene

12. sid-fmx

sid-fmx Member

Jul 28, 2007
    What profile are you using for the convex on the SP300v.
    Thanks

13. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Just feed out about 10 inches of material before you start printing..I know, it seems like a waste of material,,and it is..but this will solve it.
    ken

14. TShirtJohn

TShirtJohn New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I had the same problem too with certain banner material when the material was being tugged from behind so all I did was roll out material behind the machine and make sure it never needs to be 'pulled' through

Hope this helps too

15. Wyndham

Wyndham New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I had the same problem with my sp540. I also found that by rolling out the material behind the machine helped. Since doing this I haven't had any head strikes.