• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on why this is happening?

njsigns

I just printed 10 of these, the last 2 got screwed up like this. Any ideas what is going on? I'm printing to convex, on a SP-300V from Versaworks.

I'm going to go clean the machine again. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

njsigns

whoops - forgot the picture.

Thanks,
Gene

print_problem.jpg

ChiknNutz

Yeah, it's a head strike. The mat'l isn't laying totally flat for you and the head is subsequently rubbing that raised-up ridge. Try adding another pinch roller if you have them (my 540 has several extras but I'm not sure about the 300). Also, you may try lowering the heat to keep the mat'l from buckling like that.

Checkers

Looks like head strike to me. Is there a way you can adjust the level of your print heads?

Checkers

jkkt

Another vote for the headstrike. Convex is such a thick material you have to keep an eye on it. Try to avoid this or you will be replacing your heads ($600+ part).

mike gregson

I've had that occur a couple times at the begining of a print as the vinyl heats up and it kind of puckers or gets wavy across the width. It's never happend to me other than in the first few inches of a print. For me, adding pinch rollers hasn't helped. After it feeds across a little further it seems to straighten out, but I've also just stopped the print and sheet cut a few inches or a foot and that seems to flatten out the vinyl.

njsigns

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I didn't want to hear this was the dreaded head strike... Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the print head height? I only have 2 pinch rollers on this model...

Thanks,
Gene

Mason

You gotta babysit it while it prints, Id adjust the vaccum too so it keeps the material snug against the platen

njsigns

I don't think you can adjust head height on the SP300

I actually just read that on printingdigital.net.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll be babysitting this machine for the next few hours. I have to admit I haven't learned all the features / functions of this machine yet. I'm going to try what everyone suggested. Ahh, the nightmares of digital printing...

Thanks again,
Gene

Ken

Just feed out about 10 inches of material before you start printing..I know, it seems like a waste of material,,and it is..but this will solve it.
ken

TShirtJohn

I had the same problem too with certain banner material when the material was being tugged from behind so all I did was roll out material behind the machine and make sure it never needs to be 'pulled' through

Hope this helps too

Wyndham

I had the same problem with my sp540. I also found that by rolling out the material behind the machine helped. Since doing this I haven't had any head strikes.