• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Illy CS5 gurus out there? 911 emergency.

Sticky Signs

I have a client supplied image that I need to break up into individual panels for mounting purposes. The image is scaled down - forgive my terrible math but I think it's scaled to 10%. Anyhoo, I've made my clipping mask 5.8"x4.95" and save as an eps. The final size of the tile needs to be 58"x49.5". I bring the file into Versaworks and scale by 1000%. Versaworks is now showing that my image size is 58.33"x49.85". That's more than 1/4" bigger than it's suppose to be. I have to make 20 tiles this size and I know that the added size will give me headaches when it comes time to install. I've also tried to manually input the size in VW and it still doesn't scale properly.
Of course this is for a very picky client and the end product is going to the Auto-show so it has to be perfect. Plus with the tight deadline, I have to get it right the first time.
I can't figure out where the problem lies. Is it in Illustrator or Versaworks. I just recently got CS5 so I'm still getting used to it but it seems to me that I've never had this problem with cs3. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm also willing to call anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks

Bigdawg

Just Me
Try saving it as a pdf with the artboard exactly sized to 58 x 49.5.

Or scale it up in Illy instead.

GB2

Old Member
Why don't you:

a) Scale it up to full size in Illustrator prior to converting to EPS

b) Scale it to the desired size of 58" x 49.5" in Versaworks instead of just settling for 100% scale (Sorry, I just noticed that you said you tried this already)

c) Have you looked to insure that there are no stroke widths or perimeter borders that have accounted for the additional size?

Sticky Signs

Tried the PDF. same thing.
File is to big to scale up in Illy.
I've also tried this in a completly different document using 2.5x2.5". When scaled up by 1000 in VW I get a final size of 25.27"x25.27". WTF????

toomeycustoms

Open in photoshop - Image menu - Image size and save. Pretty simple.

Or you can try to scale it to 50% of the final size in Illy and then enlarge it 200% in versaworks. How big(MB) is the file at fullsize?

rfulford

It sounds almost like a versaworks issue. I work in 10 to 1 all the time without issue. Does your PDF export options include bleed? This could be throwing you off. I do all of my complex tiling in illustrator. Just in case this helps, here is my standard procedure.

Set up multiple art boards at 1/10t scale to represent your tiles.

You can set them to overlap if you want but I usually set a custom bleed to handle overlap.

Export the files as PDF or tiff. IF you use tiffs, be sure to set your resolution at 10 times what what you need.

Open the PDFs or Tiffs and check the size. If you use tiffs, you can set the proper resolution and they should fall to the correct size.

Sticky Signs

Thanks guys. I tried printing the file even though it shows the extra size and oddly enough, it prints to the correct size. Not sure what's happening, but it's working so I'm gonna go with it. There is a little more to this job than I previously stated and that's why I need to work in Illy to make this happen the way I want.
Cheers

yukon

Could also be the margin set in versaworks. Mine is defaulted at 0.1 which actually adds 0.2 (almost a 1/4") to the total print area in VW's.

Sticky Signs

Hmmm, just checked that and it's set to 0.02. Makes sense to me. What i don't understand is why I've never noticed this before. Mind you, I rarely use VW for scaling. what happens if I set that number to 0? What does this setting actually do other than confuse the sh!t outta me?

Custom_Grafx

In short, without complicating things - if you print with "do not scale" selected in your AI print dialog, it will output 1:1. Don't worry about the size you see in VW. If there is bleed, and you've included it, it gets added, as well as that EPS margin thing.

The most important thing is, that you don't accidentally input a smaller artboard than required, otherwise it will chop off your graphics. I find the easiest way, is to set the artboard to the size of the graphic (there are several shortcuts to do this, if you don't know them let me know), and I always add a 1mm bleed. Contour cut lines lying on the edge of the artboard can get chopped sometimes.

Then in the AI print dialog, when you select "Custom" from page size, it will automatically load the size of the artboard.

Sticky Signs

I actually took a couple of classes on Photo shop but that was many many years ago. I didn't use it for the longest time and I forgot how to use it. It's not like riding a bike! Plus with all the version upgrades it's difficult to stay on top. I do try to learn when ever possible though.
Thanks for the help guys, the job is now printing and looks great! I also wanna say a BIG THANK YOU to Stacy (AKA Bigdawg) for taking some time out of her busy day to talk to me. You Rock!