• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any issues with Oracal 5600 Colors on vehicles?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Just reaching out to see if anyone is having issues with Oracal's 5600 reflective vinyls on vehicles. I've had two issues recently.

Used the orange on our shop truck and the vinyl is peeling off on almost all the edges. Used the red on a fire marshal's vehicle and have similar peeling with the addition of massive amounts of bubbles (that were not there after installation). It's mainly peeling up where there's cuts and trims on the vehicle.

Contacted Oracal and they're saying that we touched the back of the vinyl during installation and that's why it's peeling off. They have no explanation for the bubbles.

Both vehicles were prepped the same way. Cleaned, wiped with denatured alcohol and applied dry with Conform RLA 4075 tape. They were not fresh paints jobs. The shop truck was here close to a year before we put the graphics on and the marshal's vehicle was close to six months since they'd purchased (it was a long and grueling proof process).

Am I missing something? Did we possibly do something wrong during installation? I just don't agree that we could fingered up the back of the vinyl like they're saying. It's mainly peeling up where there's trims on the vehicle.

Attachments

• 2019-07-19 13.59.47.jpg
    2019-07-19 13.59.47.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 331
  • 2019-07-19 14.01.21.jpg
    2019-07-19 14.01.21.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 290
  • Photo Jul 23, 2 51 21 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 23, 2 51 21 PM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What were the conditions when you lettered it ?? Inside..... outside, hot, cold........ ??

I-try

A Fellow Sign Guy!
I actually have had similar issues. This was on a police car that received gold and black oracal 5600. All of the gold and all of the black peeled back at the edges. You would think with how aggressive the adhesive is, it would stay... but not the case on this car. I called my fellers rep and they replaced the rolls I used. The gold and black seems to be holding now... but time will tell. I wish I was optimistic and could chalk it up to a bad batch of adhesive... just hoping more emergency vehicles I have lettered don't come walking through the door wanting their graphics replaced.

I-try

A Fellow Sign Guy!
The material was ordered in January 2018, installed shortly thereafter. 8 months later is when I was notified that the material was coming up at the cuts. Ended up restriping the whole vehicle. Crazy thing is... the removal was super smooth, and those of us who have removed reflective knows that is rarely the case, which is why I think there was something up with the adhesive.