• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any luck printing on Sep Film?

Left Coast

hey all

im trying to do some tshirt seps and trying to find the right mix of black thru my roland sp540v to get an opaque enough print.

right now im printing it thru versaworks as an eps, with my black +3 and doing a double pass.

Prints nice enough, albeit it needs to dry for a while but is this going to be opaque enough?

cheers

Pro Image

Only way to tell is to give it a try.........Its got a lot to do with your light source also......I really think it will be alright as the epson dont lay a lot of ink on the inkjet velum........

Only one way to find out......

Left Coast

ive done about 7 tests now all with different amounts of black concentrations... multi passes... single passes... upping the black output... different percentages of black ( ie 20c20m20y100b ) so i guess ill find out tomrrow when i take the seps in to my screenprint guy.

But just out of curiosity... has anyone ever done it and had it work? if so... what did ya use?

Cheers

zoiko

If the film is clear you should be ok .....what are you going to do for halftones??? are you running the roland rip ....I'm thinking about buying the xc540 in june i want to use it for film also.

Left Coast

halftones shouldnt be much of any issue i would imagine... if i can get the right black output... should be as good as done. Yes im using versaworks and love it!

cheers

cdiesel

You'll need a program to actually output the halftones. Versaworks will just print gradients, which won't work for screen printing. We use FastRIP and an Epson R1800 exclusively. I think combined it ran $850 or so.

zoiko

Yea thats what i was thinking... i'm looking at having a xc540 with wassatch rip ....or ???

cdiesel

I'm not familiar with Wasatch, but I doubt it will do halftones. I think Chris Graphixtreme uses Wasatch, so maybe he'll chime in and let us know for sure.

paul123

You can run separations from Flexi production manager, we run all our film with an epson 9600 (jet film) works great, We do high quality 4 colour work on 2880dpi single pass 65 line dot 45 line dot for textiles. If you have the correct film the opacity isn't an issue

paul123

Wasatch does do seperations, cost is a factor as the wider the printer is the more the Wasatch rip will cost. We are yet to have any limitations with the Flexi RIP

flyinhawaiian968

Hell, just halftone the art in Photoshop! Whatever linescreen you want it to be, just check with your screen printer on what he's comfortable with.
You won't be able to do a double pass though, as it will most definitely not be accurate enough to lay the halftone identically on top of the first pass.

Good luck!
Chris

Illuminated

Rage what type of film are you using? I am currently using laser velum through my laser printer. I would love to start using my roland for film+ ....I called nazdar to see if they would recommend a film for my roland and they said they didnt have any that would work!#@$%^

flyinhawaiian968

Here's an idea. Never tried it before for screen printing (yep, did that back in '90 for 3 years!), but it might work!

I've printed on Oracal's 200M laminate before with good success (XC540 w/ecosolv). Black ink seems to be pretty opaque with one pass, and if you stuck the lam to a clear acetate, I think it would work just fine.

Not sure if it would be any better than vellum through a laser, and I don't think the dot structure will be nearly as clean as the laser, but ya never know!

Chris

Illuminated

I will give it a try! maybe a optically clear lam would be better.... not sure about price difference but I stock the laminate anyway so that would be a huge + not having to buy a new roll of film for just shooting screens.

Illuminated

I cant get a crisp enough line edge and Its not dark enough for me....I dont think it will work for me.

+ I cant print halftones