• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any of you guys seen a nigerian scam pulld off in person?

et1199

Just had a guy, that apparently called the shop yesterday and talked to another employee, walk in the door. He wants a fairly large amount of signs done so he can ship them back to Nigeria. Said he was with a company called Global Connections. I told him we would need payment up front and he said that was no problem. He gave me a yahoo email address and a cell number. He didnt do the typical price doesnt matter thing. He asked for a quote and it doesnt sound like he is asking us to ship these for him. Im looking for the angle here as I have never heard of these scams being done in person. The mere mention of Nigeria sets off flags though. Any ideas?:popcorn:

Locals Find!

Just had a guy, that apparently called the shop yesterday and talked to another employee, walk in the door. He wants a fairly large amount of signs done so he can ship them back to Nigeria. Said he was with a company called Global Connections. I told him we would need payment up front and he said that was no problem. He gave me a yahoo email address and a cell number. He didnt do the typical price doesnt matter thing. He asked for a quote and it doesnt sound like he is asking us to ship these for him. Im looking for the angle here as iI have never heard of these scams being done in person. The mere mention of Nigeria sets off flags though. Any ideas?:popcorn:
He could be legit. Tell him cash only just to be safe. Let him worry about getting them where they go.

et1199

Yeah, Im going to quote him for sure. Figured I would put it on here just in case. If it turns out to be a scam at all I want to have some fun with it.

Marlene

He gave me a yahoo email address and a cell number.

seems like if his company was big enough to order a pile of signs and ship them, they would have business cards, a website or an e-mail address that wasn't yahoo. if it sounds at all OK, tell them you only take a check, can't remember the correct name for them but they are like a cashiers check from ....Bank and you name the bank so you know it is a real bank and check.

Locals Find!

seems like if his company was big enough to order a pile of signs and ship them, they would have business cards, a website or an e-mail address that wasn't yahoo. if it sounds at all OK, tell them you only take a check, can't remember the correct name for them but they are like a cashiers check from ....Bank and you name the bank so you know it is a real bank and check.

Are you thinking Money Order Marlene?

2wheelz

similar to the nigerian scam... the print and ship scam

we got involved in one of those things, this is how it works... they will want to pay with a credit card... problem is is that the credit card company has the ability to pull the money back out of your bank account up to 90 days after the transaction if it turns out to be fraudulent or a stolen card... which it will be.

Our scammer was a "priest" asking for printing (we are first a printing co.) and ship to somewhere in Africa. When we asked them to wire the money into our account before we did anything the emails stopped....

Tell them you are happy to do it for cash, but don't get involved in shipping whatever you do. You would be on the hook for the signs, but they will ask you to add the shipping to the bill, which you put on their credit card.... which you will loose....

DANGER WARNING WILL ROBINSON.... or something like that

We spent 2-3 days going round and round on it before we threw in the towel.

et1199

I know the typical scam...never seen it tried in person. And I know very well about the credit card scam. I have also seen fake cashiers checks and money orders, both. It will be cash only or no deal.

2wheelz

certified checks

are a joke, anyone with a lazer printer can make one, no guarantees there at all.... even the banks wont cash them without an account with money in it...

Kwiksigns

wookie
I've seen them in person. They wanted some big signs that amounted to a lot and my father had gotten a bad vibe from them and when he told them "First time orders have to be paid in cash" they snatched their papers from him and got out real quick. I have a couple customers that do in fact ship to Africa and Nigeria but they always pay in cash anyway.

Bly

Cash or bank transfer up front only.

Scammers are everywhere these days.

Try and sell anything online and you have Nigerians all over it.

binki

how about payment in gold. that seems to be the international currency these days. that or oil.

supersignmart

This poor fellow may have gotten one of the emails we usually get. He may just be looking for a place to outsource the banners. You should warn him this is a scam. We get several customers a month calling us to get a quote on this kind of thing and we always tell them that this is a scam, most don't want to hear it because its such a large order, but after doing some research they always call back to thank us for warning them.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
how about payment in gold. that seems to be the international currency these days. that or oil.

I heard this story about this person received the "cashier check" of course from one of the nigerian scams. Long story short, he deposited, bank confirmed the check is legit and released the fund. Two months later, bank deducted the a mount and declared it was a fake cashier check. Yes the bank has the ability to do that; must be some where in the fine print.

I gotta say. Wire is the only way to go, not even cash. I worked for a known bank few years back. Customer gave us cash, I put them in the drawer and give them out to the next customers without verifying the hundred dollars bill.

binki

the way i look at it is like this.

i can throw a rock in any direction and hit 5 guys doing the same thing i am doing. anyone that i don't personally know that comes in and wants something from us that is not local is always suspect. there is no reason someone even from just 20 miles away to use us. the only exception to this is referrals.

we always ask new customers how they found us. if they are not a referral and they are out of the area we ask why they are using us and not someone local.

new customers pay up front on their orders. if we suspect the check is bad we take it to their bank to cash it or we call to verify funds.

in california it is a civil matter if someone pays knowing the payment is bad or frivolously reverses the payment. they are liable for treble damages plus court costs. we get all information on the person giving the check just in case we have to go to court.

DrSteveBrule

This poor fellow may have gotten one of the emails we usually get. He may just be looking for a place to outsource the banners. You should warn him this is a scam. We get several customers a month calling us to get a quote on this kind of thing and we always tell them that this is a scam, most don't want to hear it because its such a large order, but after doing some research they always call back to thank us for warning them.

This is what I am thinking too.

Anyways, keep us updated!

Pat Whatley

Why not just call the police and report it. I believe this would fall under fraud.
What would be fraud? He walked in and asked for a quote.

Quote it, explain your concerns about fraud (for his sake and yours) and tell him that's why you're going to need payment in cash or a check on a local bank (you can call the bank for verification and wait for it to clear before production). If he's legit and your price is right he shouldn't have a problem.

I'm guessing he's getting scammed, though.

et1199

I forgot about this thread. I quoted the guy and haven't heard a single thing back from him. Scammer? Maybe, i just wish if he was that i could have had some fun with it.

fmg

FFS This guy may be an honest customer inquiring for an estimate.
You lot are always too cynical as usual.