• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Recommended Canadian Web Hosts For E-Mail and Website Hosting?

player

I am looking for a new hosting service. My current one has upped their rates again and I am not happy with their tech help. So I would appreciate any recommendations for a host that will offer both email (RoundCube) and hosting web sites with servers in Canada.

Thanks

signman315

Signmaker
I've used InMotion Hosting for approaching 10 years and am really happy with their service. They don't have servers in Canada but they are a great company for web hosting, but I'm not sure it really matters where the servers are located....

player

I've used InMotion Hosting for approaching 10 years and am really happy with their service. They don't have servers in Canada but they are a great company for web hosting, but I'm not sure it really matters where the servers are located....
Since I am Canadian, I want the servers in Canada so I will be protected by Canadian law. If anyone wants access to my emails and data they have to go through Canadian courts to do so. Not so much in the paranoid world of Trump.

signman315

Signmaker
Since I am Canadian, I want the servers in Canada so I will be protected by Canadian law. If anyone wants access to my emails and data they have to go through Canadian courts to do so. Not so much in the paranoid world of Trump.
Fair enough. lol I'm in the USA and now almost feel like I should be using Canadian servers now that you've brought that to my attention, thanks!

WildWestDesigns

If you want that type of protection, then whomever you are emailing also has to be using Canadian (and only Canadian) servers as well.

Typical, "you" sign away certain rights when (EULA always gets in the way) to hosting companies in order for them to not only do their job, but do their job the most efficient means that they can (re: cheapest for them). Very hard to always be certain that they stay on servers in certain territorial geography. Your best bet, at least on your end of things, is to self host. Again, depending on what your recipients use, it may still not mean a whole helluva lot.

player

If you want that type of protection, then whomever you are emailing also has to be using Canadian (and only Canadian) servers as well.

Typical, "you" sign away certain rights when (EULA always gets in the way) to hosting companies in order for them to not only do their job, but do their job the most efficient means that they can (re: cheapest for them). Very hard to always be certain that they stay on servers in certain territorial geography. Your best bet, at least on your end of things, is to self host. Again, depending on what your recipients use, it may still not mean a whole helluva lot.
Not sure about all the sneaky crap, but if anyone wants to get access to a Canadian's info from a Canadian server or host, they need to get a court order. Most of the Canadian hosts are also quite vigilant about guarding their customers data. So they many be able to get the other end of the conversation, but to get my end, see ya in court buddy!

WildWestDesigns

Not sure about all the sneaky crap, but if anyone wants to get access to a Canadian's info from a Canadian server or host, they need to get a court order. Most of the Canadian hosts are also quite vigilant about guarding their customers data. So they many be able to get the other end of the conversation, but to get my end, see ya in court buddy!

They can get your end, by virtue of getting someone else's side of the conversation. Or any design etc that you sent from your server to the server in the other country.

Now if it's Canadian to Canadian server, you are correct. Canadian to American server (or whatever foreign country) what you sent is what you sent. If you didn't send it then no, but once it's sent and on another server in another country, it's not going to be quite as protected. Now, if they want to get beyond what you sent, that's something else entirely. But whatever you sent and it ends up on another country's server, it's on that other server as well. It's just if they want to go beyond whats on that other server.

If you are worried about this:
Not so much in the paranoid world of Trump.

There is a little act in the US that's been around since 1978 if I recall that has been quite broadly interpreted long before now. So yea, there is quite a lot of sneaky stuff going around here.

Last edited:

player

They can get your end, by virtue of getting someone else's side of the conversation. Or any design etc that you sent from your server to the server in the other country.

Now if it's Canadian to Canadian server, you are correct. Canadian to American server (or whatever foreign country) what you sent is what you sent. If you didn't send it then no, but once it's sent and on another server in another country, it's not going to be quite as protected. Now, if they want to get beyond what you sent, that's something else entirely. But whatever you sent and it ends up on another country's server, it's on that other server as well. It's just if they want to go beyond whats on that other server.

If you are worried about this:

There is a little act in the US that's been around since 1978 if I recall that has been quite broadly interpreted long before now. So yea, there is quite a lot of sneaky stuff going around here.
Apparently you guys bought one of our major credit card processing centers and it allows your harvesting of all the transactions and info that goes through that hub.

As far as getting the other end of the conversation, of course if I send it, it is now open for all to see. But if I have files uploaded to a server in Canada, then no, it is not available to the USA spies. Not that I have anything really to worry about, but I don't like the way the world is being harvested by the USA.

Not a big deal, but given the option to stay in Canada, I am going to take it.

WildWestDesigns

As far as getting the other end of the conversation, of course if I send it, it is now open for all to see. But if I have files uploaded to a server in Canada, then no, it is not available to the USA spies . Not that I have anything really to worry about, but I don't like the way the world is being harvested by the USA.

Not a big deal, but given the option to stay in Canada, I am going to take it.

That's why you being on a Canadian server isn't always going to mean you are totally safe. And that would also include files that you may have sent as well. Even meta data that's embedded in the email itself. A lot of stuff can be gleaned (header data could be hit or miss).

And it's quite possible that the company that you do business may have to (for whatever reason) use 3rd party servers etc. There is a lot of reasons, sometimes it's to take stress off while infrastructure is beefed up etc. How/where they do their backups of everything that's on their servers etc.

I'm not saying that is the case, just that it's something that could happen that may not sit well with you and usually these types of issues (and others) are covered in the EULA (and I know how much you love EULAs) typically not easily spelled out and under blanket statements.

If you are that concerned, self hosting is about your only option. Not always the easiest, but it's going to give you the most for your privacy concerns. Even at that isn't going to be 100% secure.

but I don't like the way the world is being harvested by the USA.

It's not just the US that does it.

Your PIPEDA as provisions in it that aren't the best with privacy of it's own citizens.

You have RIPA and Snoopers' Charter (this one I do believe is incompatible with European law) in the UK

Sweden has a law that allows for them to track sensitive words used in phone calls, faxes and emails without court order.

Usually these things start off as a "protecting reflex", but amendments that come along later usually water things down.

What can I say, information is the new gold standard.