• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any Signlab 8 users here?

gabagoo

Thanks Schmitty for the ctrl doubleclick tip. That's a time saver. Dave Wright - The reason we got the vinyl only version is we have a computer dedicated to the plotter and a separate, networked computer for the printer. I've used Signlab since it was a dos program in the days before windows or inkjet existed. After windows came along I got Corel from the beginning too. When I upgraded my way up to Signlab ver 3.something or other, I just stuck with it until last year. I use corel 12 on its own computer for design and printing.

I too had Signlab back when it was a dos program and used a fastboard through our Gerber Sprint to cut. I too used Corel draw to do most work but somewhere down the line I switched over to Signlab and stuck with that. When we bought the Edge in 96 using Graphics Advantage was anything but!!!! Being so used to how to operate Signlab I found GA very confining and still with Omega never set anything up in it, rather I send GAD files across the network and do minor setup in Omega.\

I also had to learn Flexi for our printer and again found it so different from Signlab, so again i just exported files across.

If I dont learn Signlab 8 to the max I will be half azzed at all my software!!! lol

Just want to thank you guys for helping me out. I always dreaded the day I would have to switch out of 5, but I am progressing well as I have no other choice.:corndog:

sardocs

The only reason I moved up to 7.whatever is the old windows 3.1 computer finally kakked so it was replaced with a modern monster computer that won't run my old Signlab. Compared to Coreldraw I can't get used to the grainy look of the new Signlab workspace.

gabagoo

The only reason I moved up to 7.whatever is the old windows 3.1 computer finally kakked so it was replaced with a modern monster computer that won't run my old Signlab. Compared to Coreldraw I can't get used to the grainy look of the new Signlab workspace.

ditto and dont forget the cheap low res icons are pitiful and meaningless for the most part

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Is it just my setup (SignLab 8), or does everybody's overall screen resolution in this program seem lackluster?

Adobe Illustrator resolution seems to be a thousand times better.

Am I doing something wrong?

I do most of my design / node editing in Illustrator and AutoCAD and only cut from SignLab.

David Wright

No James, it isn't just you. I am a long time Signlab user and even with the newer upgrades the interface is Fisher Price looking and the resolution and overall look of the display is rough. Corel has options for display all the way to enhanced view which all look much better, same with other programs as well.

I am not sure why this is but it doesn't help the design experience looking at such a poor display

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Fisher Price, huh? I was thinking more like the Flintstone's. The only way I can get a razor sharp edge is to zoom in the maximum amount, but what's the use of that when you have to pan all the time?

Hair width lines are another bugger. They actually appear to have total sections missing until you zoom in on them.

chopper

gab,
to auto kern, go to edit, edit font in the drop down,
in the lower left corner is the auto kern button, click on it and set the spacing for the font and hit apply, I think you need to do this for each font, so basically you can have different kerning for each font (and each letter) and save the font that way, and my resolution on my screen looks fine unless I am misunderstanding what is being said....
gab.. did you get the training cd when you bought sl8? I didn't but seen that later they were offering it for free I called cadlink and they sent me the training videos for free...
//chopper

JR's

Chopper thanks for the auto kern tip. and I dint know thy had a training video???

Gab have you tried the cotour cut yet, thats a pretty cool tool.

JR

gabagoo

Chopper thanks for the auto kern tip. and I dint know thy had a training video???

Gab have you tried the cotour cut yet, thats a pretty cool tool.

JR

yes I used the contour cut in my old version as well.

I never received any DVD but I just need to learn the basics or more accurately how they have changed the basics. I am progressing well and have a handle on it.
Like I stated previous, there are a few areas I do not like and they seem to take a little longer, especially any operation that finishes with the annoying "APPLY" step. Man if I didn't want to do it I wouldn't have, I dont need to be prompted each and every time. Anyone from cadlink eavesdropping....dump that step...we are professionals ya know!!!

When I mentioned resoulution...the graphics on the screen are fine, it is the little icons they use to show you any operation. For some reason they are like pixelated to death which is weird because even the most horrible low res bitmap off the web looks ok on the screen at 1" lol

gabagoo

I may have a graphics card issue as sometimes the screen changes as though I was demagnifying whilst in the middle of doing something else. I wonder if there are any patches to for the program that I should be looking for or maybe I need a better video card?

signage

To see what release you have click on help>about then type R enter. This will show what release you have under the version.