Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any suggestions for A-frame racks for storing sheet material

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by equippaint, May 18, 2019.

1. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    We were going to build a 10' rolling A-frame but never seem to have the time. How is everyone else storing panels? Any pictures of shop built racks or suggestions on where to purchase pre-made? We don't have the room for more pallet racking or we would just go that route.
    About the best I could come up with were glass and granite racks but they are over built for this and pretty expensive.

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Shop I used to work for had a rolling thing that our welder made. It was kinda like the A frame except not an "A".. the vertical square tubes were straight up and there were like 4 slots that we could put substrates in. It was nice to roll around the shop or roll it to the door so Glantz could load it.

3. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Ours wasn't much bigger...we had 4x8 and 5x10 sheets on it and they both hung outside the rack by a few feet either side.

5. Signout

Signout Premium Subscriber

May 5, 2010
    Huntington, WV
  6. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I have a couple of drywall carts that I use. They have large wheels that make them easy to roll

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
  8. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    We use A-Frame carts we bought at Uline, you can get:

Adjustable Panel Carts - https://www.uline.com/BL_790/Adjustable-Panel-Trucks
    Standard A-Frame Carts - https://www.uline.com/BL_1886/A-Frame-Panel-Trucks

Check them out - it's typically cheaper IF you value your time to buy a mass-produced cart than to build one of equal quality on your own.

For flimsy media (like thin styrene, PVC, cardstock, etc.) we use a "lift cart" (https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...anual-Lift-Table-Standard-1100-lb-63-x-31-1-2) with a wood top and sideboard we made and attached to it. I don't have photos since I'm at home, but here is a video of something similar (looks like they don't have an adjustable height up or down on their cart but the same idea). https://www.signs365.com/static/video/background/coro/background.m4v (look at 14 seconds in until 18 seconds).

Hope that helps!

9. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    We started the shelves on one of our pallet rack sections at 8-1/2 ft and built a base and vertical dividers to hold substrates vertically. It works well and is right by our panel saw. We also have a shorter section for drops.

10. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    If you put ACM sheets on it, do they start to get a bow in them with the ends hanging off? This was the best pre-made option I have found so far.

11. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    No bow at all. They are high quality and we use it everyday.

12. NP_18

NP_18 Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Texas
    We built this a couple months ago.. took about 2-2.5 hours and $175 at Home Depot. Full sheets go on the bottom and cut sheets/misc up top. Rolls around the warehouse well, might put a hitch on it so the fork lift can pull it around

Attached Files: