• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any suggestions for protecting a large tv monitor?

AGinVT

Recently one of my customers contacted me because the monitor in one of the monument signs we installed last spring had been vandalized. We have ordered a new monitor, but need a way to prevent future damage. I was thinking of using a sheet of Plexiglas with standoffs, but need something that will not have glare, resist shattering and hold up in Vermont weather. Grimco sells a:
Acrylite Extruded Acrylic 4' x 8', Clear P99 (light matte), 1/8". Not sure if this would fit the bill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've attached a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 216

Gino

Premium Subscriber
An encasement like around Church Signs with locking struts. Won't need to be moved like normal use, but it will protect it. If all you do is use standoffs....... birds, wasps and anyone who wants to be a pr!ck can get behind it, if you leave the proper spacing to insure against sweating and fogging up.

d fleming

If you build something teenager proof, you'll be the first. Take that from an old high school teacher. A shield of some sort might give some protection, but I would think thicker than 1/8". Probably cheaper than a new monitor until the vandal takes failure as a challenge. Couple of cheap amazon blink motion cams might help to catch little Jane or Johnnie or the Pastor from the church down the block and bust them, lol.

Boyanski

Without going to something super expensive, he only material i know that resists all things you say is the glass, they use for glass doors. I have seen people try to break this glass using 50kg boulder and they couldn't. Just chipped it. Something like 1.5 cm at least i would say.

bannertime

You've got a nice little box there. You could build a some type of Signcomp vandal system into it. Frame the monitor in, paint it that green. Then you can open it and replace the clear sheet as needed.

shoresigns

Grimco sells a: Acrylite Extruded Acrylic 4' x 8', Clear P99 (light matte), 1/8". Not sure if this would fit the bill.

I don't think any kind of matte or anti-glare sheet is going to work for this. They tend to have a frosted glass effect unless they're really thin and sandwiched right up against the graphics. Move the graphics back a little and it all goes blurry.

AGinVT

Great suggestions. I will definitely check the display specs before encasing the monitor. The SignComp kit sounds like an excellent option. I have used them in the past for light boxes and have been very happy with the quality. Thanks again.

AGinVT

An encasement like around Church Signs with locking struts.

I'm not really sure what this looks like. Not very familiar with this.