• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any tips on installing perforated film over windshield wiper housing?

Jean Shimp

I have to install a rear window perforated film on an SUV that has a windshield wiper near the bottom center. Should I cut and patch around the wiper housing or try to remove it for installing the film, then put it back on the glass. Thanks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We remove the wiper arm and cut a small cross into the perf approximately where the spline sticks out of the window. Lay the entire window, then clean up the part surrounding the spline last. Replace the arm once complete.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Isn't it a pita to remove it? We just cut around it - because it's my understanding they are a pita to remove and replace. I haven't tried it though.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I can say that we've done a bunch of window perf on back windows on suvs. Some of those aren't removable. So we cut a slit at the bottom under the wiper and and pull it around.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Isn't it a pita to remove it? We just cut around it - because it's my understanding they are a pita to remove and replace. I haven't tried it though.

It hasn't been too difficult on the ones we've done. It's usually a 1/2" nut which sometimes needs a bit of WD40 to shake loose. The arm usually pulls off perpendicular to the window and can need some persuasion occasionally.

I would highly recommend getting something like this. Even with a wiper arm puller they can be a bit hard to take off if they're super rusted.

Edit: Just remember what position it sits when you remove it, if you put it on the wrong side it can mess a lot of stuff up when it's turned on.