• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any tricks for eliminating static from printer?

TSG

Anyone with a solution for eliminating static from the printer? (showing up in prints)

Thanks!

Letterbox Mike

Ok, first I've heard of this. What do you actually do with it, drape it on the incoming/outgoing prints?

You stretch it across the media or board as it feeds into the printer, making sure wherever you connect it to the printer it's grounded to the chassis. It "soaks up" any static charge in the material and grounds it to the frame so it can't cause static overspray issues.

I tried several different gold garlands in our machines but never could get them to stay put very well. I recommend the StopStatic wideformat kit because it's elastic and attaches with magnets so it's easy to put in place and it stretches tight across boards. The principal is identical to the garland, it's just more convenient IMO.

letterman7

Gotcha. Don't have too much issue with prints, but the router and pvc is a whole other story! I'll have to play with some garland... might be a little festive for the shop!

tradeup

I had static bad and taped dryer sheets to the back of my printer and let it touch the media as it was fed into printer. Laugh if you want but I promise it helped!!! Without spending a dime. (my wife paid for the dryer sheets lol)

VTSigns

I tried stopstatic for my Colorspan 98UVX and it didn't help a bit. I tried just about every product that they offer and not one of them made a difference. I'm sure they work in certain applications but not in mine.

fozzie

Had tried garland, wipes, static air ionizers, etc. Wasn't till we invested in an industrial humidifier did we solve static issues. Keeps our entire building 50-60 relative humidity. Like Insignia said, relative humidity is the problem (and solution)

Kaiser

All of the above and keeping your humidity controlled. Also, A grounding mat all round the printer isnt such a bad idea. Get some static bars installed on the printer as this also helps. What I find to be a lifesaver though, is having de-ionized air fed through my blower I use to clean my workspace. (Industrial grade printing on a flatbed)

Uwe Fischer

We have had much problmes with our OCE Cs 7075/Colorspan 72 UVX. I have tried many things, incl. an antistatic gun, nothing helps. Now i have installed two small static bars (with tesa power strips!!!) left an right to the printhead carriage, works very well.
Here an excample, unfortunately not in english:
http://www.haug.de/index.php?rid=924310490827
The gun we use to blast away dust. Hope it helps.