• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any walldogs out there?

unclebun

Is there anyone around still doing this? Anyone near Lake of the Ozarks who'd be willing to do a wall painted sign?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is there anyone around still doing this? Anyone near Lake of the Ozarks who'd be willing to do a wall painted sign?
There is a member on here who still focuses on this - but I can't remember what his name is right now. I'll see if I can find one of his threads...

unclebun

Last one we did we were able to print a transparency on the latex and cut in the lines with a projector. Haven't seen anybody freehand anything of the sort in 25 years or so I reckon... Wanna borrow my projector?
It would be kind of fun to do. I haven't painted anything like this since I started out in signs over 30 years ago. The company I worked for then has been gone over 15 years. I don't own any of the equipment I would need, and I don't have paints and brushes and all the stuff you need for that either.

The job is for a restaurant that we do the signs for. They built a new Hobby Lobby on the vacant land behind it and he wants the name of the restaurant on the back of the building huge. Problem is the back of the restaurant isn't EFIS stucco like the rest of the building. It's the outside of a giant walk in cooler and freezer along the back of the building. I was considering putting one of the banner frames on it or just mounting a billboard on the back of the building until I found that. I'm not so excited about drilling holes into the side of a refrigerator.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Or a big ole vinyl mural! Something outdoors I'd pounce before trying a projector, too many variables, plus unless this is in the middle of nowhere, light pollution would overpower the projector. I don't know that I'd put paint on a cooler, or rather what sort of paint would work well on it. I'd avoid penetrating a cooler too, no matter what you're likely to reduce the efficiency with a piece of metal conducting between inside and outside, and I don't think those things are cheap...
I think the mural is going on a stucco wall outside - and the freezer is on the other side of the wall on the inside...

unclebun

I think the mural is going on a stucco wall outside - and the freezer is on the other side of the wall on the inside...
The owner thought the wall was stucco. But when I got up there to measure it, it's clearly thin stamped metal with a pebble grain, and it is "smooshy" when you push on it. It's not stucco like the rest of the building. I don't want to mess up the fridge/freezer or do anything that could be remotely associated with any kind of problem it develops.

Z SIGNS

I'd love to come to Ozarks to do a wall.
Ask your customer if he wants a price to fly us out there.
We still do this but not in the traditional way of mopping paint. We cut acm spray stencils on the router.
Here is a recent one. It was supposed to look like an old faded wall sign.
We used black, white and red krylon from Homers depot. Scuffed that up with wire wheel on a grinder. Then smeared a nice clearcoat on top.
If it had to look new we would use the same technique but lay down more paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0969 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0969 - Copy.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 122

DL Signs

Never go against the family
The owner thought the wall was stucco. But when I got up there to measure it, it's clearly thin stamped metal with a pebble grain, and it is "smooshy" when you push on it. It's not stucco like the rest of the building. I don't want to mess up the fridge/freezer or do anything that could be remotely associated with any kind of problem it develops.
If it's "smooshy" it might have a spray on urethane barrier applied. Some companies do that when they install commercial coolers, adds a little insulation value, and seals everything. If it is, depending on the product, vinyl and paints might not stick well to it, so test whatever you're going to do first.

unclebun

If it's "smooshy" it might have a spray on urethane barrier applied. Some companies do that when they install commercial coolers, adds a little insulation value, and seals everything. If it is, depending on the product, vinyl and paints might not stick well to it, so test whatever you're going to do first.
It's not coated. What I meant was it's not rigid, and you can easily push it in and out. It feels like thin steel or aluminum. Smooshy like the side of an old mobile home.

Johnny Best

Stucco embossed aluminum over the installation. If the aluminum is painted it should not be a problem painting. Use !00% acrlyic paints with synthetic brushes. Do a scale drawing and start from one end and lay it out with charcoal sticks. Get it finished before winter starts up there. Acrylic paint freezes.

signbrad

His name was Craig Solquest or something like that from Orlando and rode a bike.
Craig Sjoquist, Lives in Fairvilla FL, actually, originally from Minnesota, hence the Scandinavian name. I've worked on a couple walls with him. Competent, old school.
Craig is the guy in the lab coat standing on the pick, middle of the picture. I'm the fat one standing on the ground in the white T-shirt. The wall was design by Jill Welsh, in black with the red bandana.

You can find him on Facebook. I don't have his number.

Use Nova Colors, acrylic mural paint. One Shot does not hold up on stucco and brick.

13895321_10208316292097157_5423224055442622107_n.jpg

Johnny Best

Craig Sjoquist was the name of the sign painter Boudica was talking about. He lived in Orlando years ago, he use to to Walldogs meeting to paint murals.

netsol

It would be kind of fun to do. I haven't painted anything like this since I started out in signs over 30 years ago. The company I worked for then has been gone over 15 years. I don't own any of the equipment I would need, and I don't have paints and brushes and all the stuff you need for that either.

The job is for a restaurant that we do the signs for. They built a new Hobby Lobby on the vacant land behind it and he wants the name of the restaurant on the back of the building huge. Problem is the back of the restaurant isn't EFIS stucco like the rest of the building. It's the outside of a giant walk in cooler and freezer along the back of the building. I was considering putting one of the banner frames on it or just mounting a billboard on the back of the building until I found that. I'm not so excited about drilling holes into the side of a refrigerator.
i can loan you a projector
the scaffolding , you can get from home depot