• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any way to make Flexi 7.5 work on windows 7???

avatrx

Thanks,

I definitely have a valid XP product. I had a multiple users version which I have installed on 3 computers. I think it was valid for 5 - maybe 10. One I upgraded to the WIN7. Actually I didn't upgrade it - I reformatted and installed WIN7 because I had been told WIN7 wouldn't install over WIN XP. In retrospect, I think that information was inaccurate, but too late now........

I don't remember since It's been so long since I've installed XP on anything. I got it a LONG time ago.

I have the product number written on the disks. I had made backups of my original and then somehow, in a move , lost the original.

I'm going to try to install it tomorrow, but in the event that fails - I may take you up on your offer. It was suggested to try VMware, also free, but I'll check out your virutalbox software. Not sure which is easier to use.

I would really like to just get my VE LXi running since I already own it and I'm familiar with how it works. Several have recommended the Cocut, but right now I just can't spare the $$. although I would like to - at some point - get a software program that didn't require a hardware key. I believe Cocut is $500?

We don't use vinyl for much of anything other than to create artwork. The vinyl substitutes for a film to block the light when exposing silkscreens. We sold our big camera. Too many chemicals spoiling and not enough work. Since most companies now use image-setters - film is not readily available either. a $500 box of film would last us for years. We used to order it about every 6 months...................

Thanks again for your offer of a disk image. I may take you up on that. not sure what size file that is, but I do use dropbox for large files.

-susie

choucove

In my previous attempts with running Flexi in Virtual XP mode, it didn't work out so well. While the installer completed in the Windows XP virtual machine, it would not recognize the USB hardware dongle key at all, and production manager would never connect to send jobs from the VM through to hardware directly attached to the machine. Even when passing through USB devices, the production manager part just would not work.

I have not tried the Virtual Box with Flexi, but I've used Virtual Box a lot and it might work well to try it out.

I pretty much never recommend that someone go with a new Windows XP computer at this point due to the age of Windows XP and many limiting factors including hardware support and software support. However, in this case, if you just need the older version on one computer for production purposes then I'd tell you to consider having a separate stand-alone Windows XP computer for that software, as it might be more costly in time and headaches to try and make this work virtually on some Windows 7 computer than to just have a different cheap computer running it for now.

avatrx

I tend to agree with you. I'm going to try the virtual box route today and see if it works but don't plan to spend alot of time trying to get it to work.

If all else fails, I'd thought about getting a decent used laptop that has a serial out port or perhaps even a parallel port out. I had given my son my old Compaq Presario years ago. He still has it but doesn't use it. He's going to check on the available ports.

That old laptop may be the answer. If that one doesn't have what I need, then I'll resort to EBAY where I found a couple of older DELL computers that do have the serial port out and have XP Pro installed with a recovery disk. they ran about $110.

I will post back in the event someone else want to give this a try.

thanks for weighing in. Again, I agree with not wanting to have 2 full size computers running. Laptops are small - and have everything there in compact form.........

choucove

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that with a laptop your hardware performance is not going to be as great as a desktop, and the reliability may also be a factor. Laptops tend to not have as good of a lifespan as a similar desktop, so if you are going to be using a laptop that is already several years old, don't be surprised if it starts acting up soon or just plain fails.

If you intend to run your software for a while still, in a production environment, I'd recommend a desktop, even if it is a used one, try to find something newer in generation to give you as much lifespan as possible from it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-precision-960-E8500-core-2-duo-3-16-GHz-250-GB-4-GB-ram-WIN-XP-dvdrw-/380577504230?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item589c2fdbe6

WildWestDesigns

Could always try running Linux on a desktop or laptop and then using Flexi thru WINE.

I've always had good luck with running the older programs on Linux instead of keeping the old OSs, especially XP as I've never been a fan of that OS even when it was new. At least with going to Linux, you'll still be current on that platform that you have the program on.

avatrx

I wouldn' know where to start with Linux. Here is where I am so far.

installed virtualbox. OK
installed the VELxi software and hasp key - OK

tried to do a test 'cut'. Not OK.
It tells me it can't open the port.

I can't seem to find a driver for the GRC-61 cutter.

I haven't rebooted at this point.

Do I need to link to my network which would result in my linking to the WIN7 computer that has the parallel port? I know the cutter will work thru there because I have tried SignTools4 (Corel) and it cut using that.

There is a small bit of info on the cutter itself about the cutter, but there is not information on the software anywhere. I tried accessing the 'help' file on the software but there does not seem to be any. It won't open any help files. I'll look on the disk for a manual.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me at this point? Is there a user manual out there for the software. Specifically VE Lxi Master + 2001 version.

is is possible that virtualbox doesn't support the use of a parallel port?

There is a USB port on the cutter itself, but it is my understanding that the USB port on the cutter won't communicate with anything. I don't get that. Why is it there?

thanks,
-susie

avatrx

I have not tried the Virtual Box with Flexi, but I've used Virtual Box a lot and it might work well to try it out..

I was able to install the software using VirtualBox. I got everything up and running with one exception: it won't recognize my parallel connection to the cutter, so I'm on the hunt for an older serial cable with a male DB25 connection at the cutter and a DB9 at the PC.

I sure hope that works. I've never used Virtual Box prior to this, so I'm just learning, but it does show an area where you can setup a serial port connection. I'm not quite sure how to do that. hopefully once the cables are connected it will find the cutter and I only have to match the speed?

thanks to all for the info. I'm currently cloning the virtual PC I setup in the event I need it in the future or on another system.
-susie

choucove

I know with USB devices, you can do a "pass through" to the virtual machine from your physical machine. Often times, when you have Virtual Box up and running with the virtual machine on and the window open, there is a button (either in the menu options at the top or at the bottom right corner) that has USB Pass Through options and you can select devices or ports to pass through.

However, I don't know about passing through other ports, such as parallel or serial. You might have to create a virtual serial port on your VM settings, and have it pass through to the physical COM port on your computer which is attached to the device.

Even then, that's only half the battle. If you can find a way to get the device passed through to your virtual machine, you will still have to find the drivers to install it so your Windows XP can recognize it.

avatrx

I think I have the serial ports in XP. In the VB serial ports show up as an option.

I had read that the USB port on my cutter doesn't work to communicate. I tried it and it won't recognize it, while it does recognize my thumb drive and my hardware USB key as well as my printer which runs from a USB port, so I guess they were right.

Signwarehouse is awful and I know they won't answer anything without being paid. I do have a connection that may have the answer I need but he's hard to get ahold of.

Wish me luck.
-susie

avatrx

As promised, I'm posting my 'trials and tribulations with VE LXi software, on Virtual Box using a parallel cable. NOT!

I was able to successfully get my software loaded using Virtual Box and setting up XP Pro in that. It took the dongle and everything else but it would not, repeat would NOT let me access the printer port. I manipulated the LPT drivers in the HOST system at the command prompt following the directions I had been given, but it still didn't work.

I did not have a serial cable so wasn't able to try that. I did finally get a serial cable, but not sure if it was the correct one. Still couldn't get it to work.

Gave up on that, closed out VB and then tried to use my HOST computer and Sign Tools (which had previously worked using the parallel printer). Now that wouldn't work.

Since I have jobs that have to get done, I uninstalled VB. Ran Ccleaner to get rid of misc junk in the computer and registry. Set the computer to defrag using Defraggler and went to bed.

This morning, got up and tried using the Corel Draw Sign tools again. This time it worked! It did give me error messages saying that there was an error with LPT1 and that I should uninstall and reinstall. Despite the error messages, it still cut the artwork.

Once I had the jobs done - I ran the uninstall and reinstall the LPT1. Haven't tried it since that.

I did notice when checking the LPT1 port that it initially showed up as an ECP printer port. I did change that back to a standard port last night before I set to defrag. I don't know if that had any effect or not.

Once the sign season is over, I will try again with Vbox and a serial cable.

I'm not in love with the Sign Tools program. I'm trying to figure out how to put a reasonable weed box around the artwork sections and not having too much luck. Unlike VE software - you can't set the depth of cutting in the software like I'm used to. You also can't seem to set the size and boundaries of the artwork. 2 jobs didn't cut all the way to the edge.

guess I need to re-read the guide book and see if those answers are in there somewhere.