• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Any way to make versaworks Work faster on a good laptop?

Boyanski

Just ranting,
Win10 on a top notch laptop with loads of memory and working fine, and it takes a lot of time to RIP. Ok a min or 2, but why it does not utilize properly system resources? Can i make it think faster? ;)
Its not limited by my machine so why does it goes slow?

upload_2019-12-9_20-16-2.png

upload_2019-12-9_20-14-41.png

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The RIP process can't be parallelized so having multiple cores doesn't do much to speed things up. The RIP also won't use the GPU for the same reason. Clock speed will speed it up but it looks like you are already overclocking. You have plenty of memory. The only thing I can think of is to get a SSD if you already don't have one and make sure the RIP work folder is on that drive.

jwlllpl

Maybe try turning off any power saver settings, weather updates, screen savers, motion wallpapers and icons too.

jwlllpl

At this shop I work on Flexi but used to run Versa and Onyx from a few different laptops. It used to slow them way down when I had anything running in the background. Firewalls and security software would sometimes give me issues for speed too. I basically would turn off any non-essentials when I had to rip.

JoeDG

Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast
Upgrade to latest version (if your device is supported) and you can ramp up the memory used in the RIP.

Boyanski

I use 5.5.1 as this is the latest that supports the Soljet III XC-540.

My Pc is not overclocked, just is top notch gaming laptop.

No antivirus and stuff. Runs perfectly fine Premiere and Photoshop at top load.

When using QImage to print on other printers its has superfast rendering. Unfortunately QImage does not control directly the printer. Instead it sends it to Versaworks. Or i have adjusted something wrong? Do you know if QIMAGE can be made to print directly on the Roland? Now that would be awsome

JoeDG

Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast
Do you have loads of jobs in the Queue? Worth saving/deleting old jobs and re-importing as and when you need them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Soljet hit the nail on the head. Because of the way computer calculations work MOST programs can not maximize each processor 100%.... or even 50%. When multi-core processors came out this problem started.

Like he said, clock speed here will be the main factor. They have processors now that burst into the 4.5hz range. The processor you have is not top of the line anymore. I have an 8750 which is last year's model; not top of the line and it has higher clock rate and 6 cores.

SSD will help too

greysquirrel

get the rip off of a laptop. A stand alone pc(desktop) will always run a rip faster even if the specs on both are similar between both devices.

HulkSmash

What do you consider "A good laptop"

Post your actual specs. Installing your RIP on a SSD would significantly help, also better processor.

greysquirrel

your processor is for a mobile device...this video shows the desktop version.

the smaller chassis in the laptop will cause the chip to overheat faster...causing it to automatically slow down so it does not blow up.

just my opinion....after installing and servicing onyx, versa works, color gate, wasatch and caldera for the last 15 years...

standalone pc
i7 processor
flash drive for operating system and software rip
secondary hdd for storage of files 7200rpm or ssd...yes a rip makes 3 copies oft self and saves them on your hdd until you manually delete....can also slow down your processing
2 network cards
one for internet and connecting to pcs
one direct to printer(if only one)direct throughput
4gb ram os (i like 8)
2gb ram per printer in your rip...minimum I like 4per

Boyanski

You miss what i am saying. The Versaworks does not use all the power of the PC, if any , that's what i am saying. When i run Photoshop or Premiere, all is 100% even 24gb memory is almost all used.
My primary drive is M.2 SSD and have a second also. 24gb memory and yeah, not the latest processor 7700HQ but still 2.8- 3.45ghz 4 core and a dedicated 4gb Nvidia video card. last year this time a 1400euro laptop

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You miss what i am saying. The Versaworks does not use all the power of the PC, if any , that's what i am saying. When i run Photoshop or Premiere, all is 100% even 24gb memory is almost all used.
My primary drive is M.2 SSD and have a second also. 24gb memory and yeah, not the latest processor 7700HQ but still 2.8- 3.45ghz 4 core and a dedicated 4gb Nvidia video card. last year this time a 1400euro laptop

No, you miss what I'm saying. This has already been explained. Not all programs CAN USE 100% of the processor.