• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any way to open Composer files in Illustrator CS?

Imminent Death

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm hoping this will turn out to be a nice resource for my occasional sign issue that comes up.

My question is: Is there any plug-in or certain way to open up Omega .plt files in Illustrator CS? We have a machine on the other side of the building from where I am that has Omega on it... and I'd load it on my machine here, but we only have one key/serial for it.

Anyone know how to get around this? Any help is much obliged.

GB2

Old Member
You can export from Omega to EPS or AI files....you can use the menu bar to Edit/Copy from Omega and Edit/Paste into Illustrator also. If you install the program on the second computer you can operate it in demo mode without the security block, I'm not sure if that will allow copy and paste to work or if you can only view the files on the monitor in demo mode.

signage

Demo mode will not let you save or export anything! You can work on them but can not save, export or print them!

iSign

what is your purpose?
you could always use "remote desktop connection" to open it onthe computer across the room, while sitting at the computer on this side of the room... or you could buy Gerbers "design station" (which was recently being given away with Omega 2.5 upgrade purchases)

Marlene

Sounds like you're trying to run the full Omega on both computers. If that's what you want to do, you'll have to by the rights from Gerber to do so. The question that you asked was can I open a .plt in Illustrator, yes, by saving it in Omega as an .eps and exporting. To design and save in Omega on two computers needs two keys or lots of running back and forth with the one key.

Imminent Death

Well, right now our computer network is a total mess (we're in the process of getting everything fixed).

Right now we have our Edge and one of our plotters tied to one machine that the network does not like to read (for whatever reason) on the other side of our (rather large) building. I'm aware of converting everything as an .eps in Omega... but we have years worth of old .plt files, and occasionally we need to pull out old stuff for re-prints/re-cuts. We're going to have a file management talk here and I'm going to voice that everyone starts saving an .eps version of .plt files.

It would just be nice to be able to open .plt files directly without having to waste 10 minutes time (and as busy as we've been... that time adds up around here).

iSign

Flexi or signlab will open them, but the remote desktop solution could be good too. Also there is a service through logmein.com that could help. I use both & they save me a little stair climbing, along with the Omega design station.

Marlene

Sounds like you should spring for the rights to run Omega on more than one computer as it will be worth the money.