• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Zund S3 owners?

PrintItBig

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of the Zund S3?

We were looking at the G3 but budget is becoming an issue.

Does the smaller bed length on the S3 cause any issues cutting stuff that's longer than the bed?

When we had a demo, we cut some stuff that was longer than the bed and there was a noticeable notch at the point where the material was fed forward. Strangely this was only on one side, the other side was perfect. The guys at Zund put this down to a calibration issue and were confident it could be resolved so both sides were perfect.

It's made us nervous though, as a lot of the stuff we'll be doing is longer than the bed.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Not with the Zund, but I've had to page material on routers many times. No matter how careful I was, there alwaye seemed to be a small variation on one side or the other. If Zund says they can get it right with calibration, though, I'd say "make them prove it." If they can't, then you know it's not going to be the right machine for you.
If there's absolutely no way you can go bigger, then either become adept at finding the best places to break your parts (and more adept at joining the cut pieces) or outsource anything too large for you to take care of comfortably.

PrintItBig

Thanks for the reply.

We can go bigger (Kongsberg XN, Dyss X7, Summa F 2630) it just couldn't be a Zund due to the cost.

I would guess that about 50% of the stuff we'd be cutting would be longer than the S3 bed so outsourcing would get expensive.

We'd prefer to go with Zund just not sure if the smaller bed length outweighs the plus points?

Ghost Prophet

I run the Zund G3 and cut banners way longer than the table almost daily. I've seen some problems on a rare occasion, but usually alignment issues like you're talking about are caused by the way the file is setup. Zund might be correct that it's a calibration issue, but you should consider the fiducials (registration dots) as a possible problem as well. On really long runs, the more the better. And I have even noticed at times that putting all of your fiducials on one side of the material running long ways (to register a long straight line) can be more accurate than having the machine try to triangulate over and over again across each panel.

As far as Zund vs Kongsberg go... You might be happy with a Kongsberg, it's a great cutter. However I have a Zund G3 and Kongsberg XN side by side and I hate the Kongsberg, not because it sucks, but because the Zund is so much better in that it's easier to use, more accurate, and thus far more reliable.

MagnetStew

S3 owner here......we haven't had any issues on cuts longer than the bed. Like was previously mentioned, the more regmarks the better.

PrintItBig

Thanks for all the replies.

S3 owner here......we haven't had any issues on cuts longer than the bed. Like was previously mentioned, the more regmarks the better.

So if you're cutting a banner or something long and straight, you get no discernible notches at all where the bed feeds on and the sections join?

Thanks.

PrintItBig

I run the Zund G3 and cut banners way longer than the table almost daily. I've seen some problems on a rare occasion, but usually alignment issues like you're talking about are caused by the way the file is setup. Zund might be correct that it's a calibration issue, but you should consider the fiducials (registration dots) as a possible problem as well. On really long runs, the more the better. And I have even noticed at times that putting all of your fiducials on one side of the material running long ways (to register a long straight line) can be more accurate than having the machine try to triangulate over and over again across each panel.

As far as Zund vs Kongsberg go... You might be happy with a Kongsberg, it's a great cutter. However I have a Zund G3 and Kongsberg XN side by side and I hate the Kongsberg, not because it sucks, but because the Zund is so much better in that it's easier to use, more accurate, and thus far more reliable.

Same question really, so would you say that with enough dots you can get the join to be completely invisible with no notches at all?

MagnetStew

Thanks for all the replies.

So if you're cutting a banner or something long and straight, you get no discernible notches at all where the bed feeds on and the sections join?

Thanks.

Not on the S3. We did from time to time on our older S800 but only when there weren't reg marks close to the break.

PrintItBig

Not on the S3. We did from time to time on our older S800 but only when there weren't reg marks close to the break.

Thanks again.

May I ask what type of work you do with your S3 and if you have another CNC for heavier stuff or use the S3 for everything?

MagnetStew

Primarily for magnetics but also quite a bit of self-adhesive vinyl, cardboard, coroplast, pvc sign board, and banners.

PrintItBig

The one we're looking at is the widest bed size (2270mm x 1200mm) and is around £90k, not sure about US prices.

It's hard to spend that much when we could get a much larger DYSS with pretty much every option for less money.