• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody else have problems with FDC 2100 Cast applying premask?

decalit

I always use Oracal 751 Cast vinyl, well i have a job i have to use FDC 2100. I have wasted half a roll trying to apply RTape masking on. No matter which direction i squeegee the tape i keep getting wrinkles.I have tried using one of those hand held applicators, i have tried everything. And not wrinkles in the tape it is putting wrinkles in the backing paper and vinyl. I have never seen anything like this. I know the issue, the backing is like thin paper unlike Oracal which has a heavy backing that will lay flat.
Any help or suggestions would we tremendously appreciated....

Johnny Best

Have you tried putting the masking down with adhesive up and laying the 2100 on top. Works well if they are not large pieces.

decalit

These are 8' x 24" sections. I dont think that will work but i might give it a shot and see what happens. Cant go any worse than it has so far. I have to do about 4) 50yd rolls.... going to be a rough go..

papabud

Lone Wolf
i use rtape with 2100 all the time. you have to take it nice, easy, and slow.
i mostly only have issues with the blue backed white. i have a roll holder at the end of my table. i pull out the premask and let it "lay" softly on the vinyl then squeegee the width starting in the middle working towards one end then back to the middle and work towards the other. then i go in the direction of the length. i seem to have mostly decent results this way.

decalit

Thats how i finished up the end of the roll, just seems like they would have changed the backing paper if it was this temperamental. That will be a long and slow process...