• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody ever seen this?

I went to look at a truck last night that's getting some new decals. The owner started removing the old number decal on one side which reveals a black ghost image on the paint. Not only have I never seen anything like this, but I find it odd that the 'ghost' number is in the shape of the white vinyl, not the black vinyl below it (see other pic). They aren't sure how to remove it or if it even can be removed. I may have to put the new truck number over the old one but I'm curious if anyone has seen this before and knows what would cause it and if it's possible to remove it without damaging the paint /clear.

The old numbers are layered cut vinyl. The black appears to be regular vinyl and the white on top appears to have a metallic sort of sheen to it. Other than that, I'm not sure exactly what was used previously.

Attachments

• 20191104_173955.jpg
    20191104_173955.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 520
  • 20191104_174001.jpg
    20191104_174001.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 390

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I know the engineer grade reflective vinyl uses a more aggressive adhesive than regular cast vinyl film, and that that plasticizers in the first layer of black vinyl are effected by the stronger adhesive. I have had similar results removing reflective materials that have been placed over black cast vinyl, but it usually manifests in additional work removing the adhesive "ghost image" (which does oddly trace the outline of the reflective graphic, not the black graphic shapes), but not significant color change. That is a new one on me. I have no idea how the stuff works, but I have had good results using "Ghost-Off" to remove the oxidation "around" the previously installed graphics, but I'm not sure that would help in this case. Looks like paint damage (probably from heat).

I know the engineer grade reflective vinyl uses a more aggressive adhesive than regular cast vinyl film, and that that plasticizers in the first layer of black vinyl are effected by the stronger adhesive. I have had similar results removing reflective materials that have been placed over black cast vinyl, but it usually manifests in additional work removing the adhesive "ghost image" (which does oddly trace the outline of the reflective graphic, not the black graphic shapes), but not significant color change. That is a new one on me. I have no idea how the stuff works, but I have had good results using "Ghost-Off" to remove the oxidation "around" the previously installed graphics, but I'm not sure that would help in this case. Looks like paint damage (probably from heat).

Thanks, Kevin. The top layer may actually be reflective now that you mention it. I'll be going back to look at the truck tomorrow morning to do some color matching for the new decals. It'll be broad daylight out but I'll tell the owner to hit it with a flashlight later in the evening to see if it's actually reflective or not (assuming he hasn't removed the other side yet). The truck was inside a lit building last night and I didn't even think to check for reflectivity. The vinyl on top appears very bright white, but that could just be due to degradation over the years. I assumed it was a white metallic but reflective seems much more likely now that I think about it.

OPENSignsInc.

I've seen vinyl do this before and always attributed it to UV light being able to penetrate the single layer but not the second layer. Coupled with expansion and contraction of the vinyl and the unexposed paint getting acid washed by rain and such.

If it's not glue residue, it may come off with some oven cleaner or polishing compound.

I've done many of over sized shadows, stripes, two-tones, etc. to hide ghosted old letters. It's whatever the customer is willing to pay for.

Melks

Perhaps the rig has been repainted in the past. A vinyl decal could have been left on the truck and used as a stencil and then removed after the new coat of blue was applied leaving the existing colour showing within the #2...