• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody knows how to round corners?

rubo

Hi folks - need help here - I need to round corners on aluminum sheets
0.025 gauge,the size will be 30x40 or larger - don't have a plasma machine or CNC - short of doing it w jigsaw and a file - some kind of a punch maybe? Tnx!

JimmyG

.025 would be very easy to cut with "tin shears".... draw the radius from a circle template and hand cut, with new sharp shears you likely will not need to file...

rubo

Has to be uniform - and has to be aluminum - client's request. not a sign job - client is a photographer, bent on aluminum. Tnx for the input!

Pat Whatley

At 1/4" you're looking at some serious hardware if you want a punch to round the corners, you're talking $3000 plus for a metal working press plus the rounding dies.

If you're just doing a few I'd break out the jigsaw and angle grinder....or find somebody with a router or water jet and send them the full sheet to cut down for you. You're in LA....there can't be more than a few thousand water jets around there.

rubo

it's not 1/4th of an inch - it's getting embarrassing :banghead: - I remember 25, not sure how many zeros, but it's as thick as stack of 10 sheets of plain printing paper so I hope the Grimco's tool will do. Tnx again!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
You probably need a pretty good sized metal shop to fab those for you. 1/4" Aluminum is well outside the range of a sign shop I think. Even the .080 we use which is about 1/12" thick takes a bit of work to fabricate.

Edna

My husband has a ironworker hyrdolic that has a corner rounding bit attackment and a nocher and several hole punch in different sizes.

make the corner marks with sharpie and get a tiger paw grinding wheel it will take small amounts at a time and it gives a nice polished edge take it off till you have no sharpie left I used to do aluminum welding and did this method to round corners all the time just be careful and have a steady hand and you should be fine.

mgcustomgraphics

it's not 1/4th of an inch - it's getting embarrassing :banghead: - I remember 25, not sure how many zeros, but it's as thick as stack of 10 sheets of plain printing paper so I hope the Grimco's tool will do. Tnx again!

I'M 99% SURE ITS 1/8 IF AN INCH WHICH IS .125, MAYBE THAT'S WHERE THE 25 IS COMMING FROM LOL :doh:

SignManiac

The first thing I would do is verify the correct thickness of your material before deciding on the appropriate method of rounding.