Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody knows how to round corners?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by rubo, Nov 7, 2012.

1. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    Hi folks - need help here - I need to round corners on aluminum sheets
    0.025 gauge,the size will be 30x40 or larger - don't have a plasma machine or CNC - short of doing it w jigsaw and a file - some kind of a punch maybe? Tnx!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    grimco has corner rounders for alum. -- but @ .025, you could probably use a paper one from a craft store :thumb:

3. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    will check it out right now. guess the number was off - it should have been 0.25. Tnx!

4. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    oh 1/4"? not gonna find a die for that I'd imagine. why not use like alum composite? 1/4" alum at 30x40 = HEAVY

5. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    .025 would be very easy to cut with "tin shears".... draw the radius from a circle template and hand cut, with new sharp shears you likely will not need to file...

6. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    Has to be uniform - and has to be aluminum - client's request. not a sign job - client is a photographer, bent on aluminum. Tnx for the input!

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    At 1/4" you're looking at some serious hardware if you want a punch to round the corners, you're talking $3000 plus for a metal working press plus the rounding dies.

If you're just doing a few I'd break out the jigsaw and angle grinder....or find somebody with a router or water jet and send them the full sheet to cut down for you. You're in LA....there can't be more than a few thousand water jets around there.

8. mgcustomgraphics

mgcustomgraphics Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I RECOMMEND GETTING A GRINDING WHEEL, THEY GO FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED, ITS WORTH IT IF YOU DO THIS A LOT AND ITS FAIRLY SIMPLE I USED TO DO THAT KIND OF STUFF WHEN I WORKED IN A MACHINE SHOP, HERE'S A VIDEO I FOUND ON YT. IT'LL GIVE YOU THE BASICS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXd4dI40ls

9. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    it's not 1/4th of an inch - it's getting embarrassing :banghead: - I remember 25, not sure how many zeros, but it's as thick as stack of 10 sheets of plain printing paper so I hope the Grimco's tool will do. Tnx again!

10. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    well, 25 guage aluminum is almost paper thin at .017" thick... I'd try the paper one from michaels/walmart first :thumb:

11. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

You probably need a pretty good sized metal shop to fab those for you. 1/4" Aluminum is well outside the range of a sign shop I think. Even the .080 we use which is about 1/12" thick takes a bit of work to fabricate.

12. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    My husband has a ironworker hyrdolic that has a corner rounding bit attackment and a nocher and several hole punch in different sizes.

13. aaronJREgraphics

aaronJREgraphics Member

Mar 27, 2012
    make the corner marks with sharpie and get a tiger paw grinding wheel it will take small amounts at a time and it gives a nice polished edge take it off till you have no sharpie left I used to do aluminum welding and did this method to round corners all the time just be careful and have a steady hand and you should be fine.

14. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
  15. mgcustomgraphics

mgcustomgraphics Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I'M 99% SURE ITS 1/8 IF AN INCH WHICH IS .125, MAYBE THAT'S WHERE THE 25 IS COMMING FROM LOL :doh:

16. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    The first thing I would do is verify the correct thickness of your material before deciding on the appropriate method of rounding.

17. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    jeez mgcustom...ya don't have to yell! =)