• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody remember this old cutter?

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I'm a millennial and I don't understand. Was this thing tangential? Did it have a cut-after-feed feature? I don't see the OPOS sensors? HOW DID YOU PEOPLE LIVE?!

But seriously, that thing is pretty awesome. If you have the space, definitely showcase it. People like history/nostalgia. I bet some sign hipster will buy it one day.

ptmiff

I'm a millennial and I don't understand. Was this thing tangential? Did it have a cut-after-feed feature? I don't see the OPOS sensors? HOW DID YOU PEOPLE LIVE?!

But seriously, that thing is pretty awesome. If you have the space, definitely showcase it. People like history/nostalgia. I bet some sign hipster will buy it one day.

'Cut-after-feed' :ROFLMAO: A Stanley Knife usually. The Vinyl/film was sprocket fed .. also see the wee window above the direction arrows? That was the 'Monitor' :thumb:

gabagoo

I remember doing zoning signs with mine.... would do 3 or 4 lines at a time....could go out and have lunch and it would just be finishing...but man did it speed up the process back in the day over hand painting a zoning sign.

We had the digitizing tablet as well with the Apple 2e computer.... monochrome screen. Doing a redraw with the accelerator card could put you in a coma!!!!...... It was pretty high tech in it's day.

d fleming

I still have cordless screw drivers and hammers. No cords attached..... no batteries either. Sometimes, ya just hafta let go of sentimental stuff. That's all it is. Try asking a decent dollar for it and see if you get any takers. :wink:
I have a garbage can in the shop right now full of old cordless drills, impacts, destroyed routers, etc. Haven't been able to make myself toss them in them dumpster yet, lol. Just re-tooled all the crews at end of year with new dewalt kits, drivers, bits etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I remember doing zoning signs with mine.... would do 3 or 4 lines at a time....could go out and have lunch and it would just be finishing...but man did it speed up the process back in the day over hand painting a zoning sign.

We had the digitizing tablet as well with the Apple 2e computer.... monochrome screen. Doing a redraw with the accelerator card could put you in a coma!!!!...... It was pretty high tech in it's day.

Aw man........

The pool rules signs and construction site signs, not to mention playground signs. I just would sit in front of it and watch it go round, up & down, back & forth and zip back around and thought, that's pretty f*ckin' amazing. Whoever thought it would lead to such an industry standard ??

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Our first unit was a SignMaker III. It didn't have auto kerning so everything had to be drawn out on plotter paper, kerning added, drawn out again, kerned again until it looked right. When the upgrade came out to SignMaker IV, our distributor couldn't believe that I was willing to pay $2,000 for the upgrade.

We got an order from Carteret Savings and Loan for 40 showcards, each of which had about 200 .25" to .5" letters on it. It took 3 days to cut and weed and sold for about $2,500 (which was pretty good in 1984 dollars). At the time it was our largest order to date. I still remember the purchasing agent trying to specify their PMS red and then showing her that her choices were Tomato Red or Cardinal Red vinyl.

Baz

As you got more experience you would just kern automatically while typing.

I <<<<think <<<<it <<<<l<o<o<ked <<<<s<o<mething <<<<like <<<<this.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
it amazes me to think what we use now will look like in 36 years....

people will see a iphone and ask what did you use that for????

my kids still can't believe the phone used to be attached to the wall, with a cord and you had to "dial" the numbers.... i hated phone numbers that had alot of zero's in them.....

shrerett........dat dat dat dat dat dat dat dat

anyone who can figure that out is old