• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody see CBS Sunday Morning discussing business cards?

laserman70

Great stuff there. We do alot of business cards and designs.
Love he said flimsy card is flimsy business, it is so true.

John Butto

post it glue

I am going to put some post it glue on mine and stick them to my forehead, great idea he had.

SignManiac

Yep it was interesting but for most sign shops, not an easy sell to clients who balk at coroplast prices. I do agree that a good card makes a good first impression.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not business cards, but along the same lines of what some of those people were saying......

Had a customer call me this morning for a price on 100 - 18" x 24" yellow Cor-X signs with stakes.

I asked him what was it going to say and how many colors ??
  • He said, don't worry about what's going on them.... I just want blanks.
Why ??
  • We're going to use marker pens and make our own signs.
You're not serious.... are you ??
  • Sure are. Our planning and marketing coach says we'll close more sales when people think they're dealing with a down to earth kinda person than someone getting signs made. They've done multiple research campaigns on this very approach.
I said, I don't care where you get your signs, but that is a bunch of baloney. If you're looking for a lost puppy, trying to sell a litter of cats or sell your kid's bicycle.... you're right, but for crying out loud.... you're selling houses.... who do you think you're gonna fool in the long run ??

Needless to say, he found blanks and stand on line for less than what I can get them for.

Now, the competitiveness comes out and without loosing a beat... I said... Jimmie.... do you know what a font is ??
  • Yeah............
Well, we have thousands of fonts. Many of them are to look like people's handwritten block letters or script. No one would ever know if it was genuinely hand written or printed by machine. After I gave him that idea... he comes back with.....
  • Hey, I'll give him that price because till we write out 100 signs on both sides... we're gonna be pretty tired.
Not to mention, the legibility will start to suffer and then it will all be for naught.

:banghead:
I'm starting to get sick 'n tired of people, lately............​

John L

Ironically, I havent had a business card or even a sign on my shop since 1983. I'm no Donald Trump but the phone rings.

SignManiac

Same here John. No sign at all and I may have passed out eight biz cards over the past couple of years. I use mind control instead.

ismoreno

@Gino, its frustrating i know...

Some people are not educated and although a business model that attempts to create relationships with consumers has had a huge impact due to economic conditions i feel that this guy was probably confused in the whole concept. Real Estate Signs with hand written marker, i don't think so. People would probably not even look twice at the sign or thing kids were selling lemonade.