• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody utilize a Maker Space?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just checking in to see how many of you have ever utilized a maker space. We've had access to our vocational center's machine shop for the past two years during their evening courses for apprentices.

It's against school policy to make "salable" items at the center, but we do a lot of R&D projects and make a lot of our own specialty tools and gadgets that aren't available in any of the supplier catalogs (I'm presently considering at least one patent submission in the near future).

Some projects rarely see the light of day, while others have had significant impact on our business direction and competitive advantage.

It's a fun way to get beyond our own four walls and create.

JB

kelly

I did for awhile, and plan to again. We focus mostly on print, but used the maker space to do small jobs of things like laser cut work or minor metal cuts and bends. There was no prohibition on making things to sell, in fact it was encouraged and they offered "commercial" memberships. Like I say, I'll do it again, however never for regular bread and butter production. Too often the shared equipment may be either tough to book according to requirements, or slightly out of whack, or whatever. So if it's something we offer as a part of our primary portfolio, we do not use the maker space. But to do one offs or get out of a pinch, it was great!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Maker space? Is that like Maker's Mark or is it something different?

bannertime

It's a place that typically has space and machines for rent like routers, mills, 3d printers, and laser engravers. Things that most people probably won't have in their house.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

It's better! Think of it as Disneyland and Wonka's Factory all rolled into one entity, yet fueled by your own creativity. Originally appealing to "nerds", they've come into their own by offering the hands-on creative experiences that most of us over 50 years old remember getting from shop, art and handicraft classes in school.

Over the past thirty years, schools have literally disemboweled themselves of traditional trades programs in favor of the high-tech glitz and glamour that attracts kids (along with plenty of tax-payer dollars).

There definitely a seems to be a void in our American society today for people who actually create things. Here's something that just started a while ago near me that gets kids excited at a fairly early age:

https://www.shoprat.org/

And when you get the time:

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yes, we used one to first get our 3D printers built using the laser cutter and waterjet there before we could afford our own tooling.