• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone do their own Direct Mail postcards?

Andy D

A friend of mine is trying to figure out how to do his own direct mailer postcards, he has a copy shop & will be printing them himself, but doesn't know how to go about getting the "EDDM" post office code to print on the postcards & of course the post office is zero help.
Any advice?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
In my past life, we did our own mailers... we got what we needed (mailing permit #) from the post office. Too bad they aren't helpful.

We had our own mailing list... is that what he's looking for? Or are you looking for the postage info to print with the artwork?

I found this:
Explore Your EDDM Options
Based on your unique business needs, either create an EDDM mailing yourself or get help with any part of the mail design, printing, preparation, and drop-off process using USPS affiliate vendors2 or find a local printer in the USPS Printer Directory.

https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm

Jburns

hahah - I first read EDDM as EDM above: ( electronic dance music).

6539316fbaaa8657733f8e6cbebbdffe.jpg

SS&G_Seattle

Hi,
Before signs, I managed a print shop and we did a lot of EDDM & VDP bulk mailing. Actually, there are some gang run printers that could print them for -CHEAPER- than our per-click cost on our leased Konica Minolta presses. I'd always do the math before printing in-house or outsourcing, but for 10K+ we would always outsource.

Address it to local postal customer, with the ECRWSS line and it will be fine. Be sure to include your mailing permit endicia. I usually ran square endicia at 0.75", but have squeezed it smaller if design needed.

Check this out:

https://www.growmail.com/direct-mail-marketing/every-door-direct-mail/eddm-design-requirements/

https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action

Post office is useless for help if you call them or go into the mailing line. If you have to, bring a piece to your local Bulk Mail Entry Unit at the USPS and talk to the postmaster there. Some of them are insanely helpful. Some really don't care whether or not you successfully use their service.

DeadDoc

Yes, but blatantly hate it. The rules are a PITA and they keep changing them and half the people there can't help. :) We do at least a few a month, postcards to crazy stuffed envelopes.

They are beyond specific, do not go outside of the templates AT ALL! They have specific placements for things and nothing else can be there.

Side note: I am just the grunt when it comes to that stuff, I also deal with the BMEU (Business Mail Entity Unit) as I deliver to the post office, so when an issues comes up, I am the first one to get mad. :)

Last edited:

twmiller24

EDDM is super easy. Just a square in the corner that says,
PRSRT STD
ERCWSS
US POSTAGE
PAID
EDDM RETAIL

And then a line beneath it that says, Local Postal Customer

This note I found online:
The EDDM Retail Indicia does not have a specific size requirement but must be larger than 0.5" x 0.5". The type font must be in all caps and at least a 4 point size. It should fit in the area 1.625" from the right edge and 1.375" from top edge. Leave 1/8" of space around the top and right edge.

GB2

Old Member
We do EDDM and Direct Mail and would be happy to help anyone interested as we have the ability to do this nation wide. You already have the answers to your questions above but feel free to contact me if you need anything else.