Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone doing "Big Heads"? Not to be confused with "FatHead"

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TheSnowman, Nov 14, 2012.

1. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Had a local photographer who does all the schools around here and nationwide contact me about making these. They really were hoping I could do it so that they could offer them, but I don't see how anyone can do them for $15. Take a look. Anyone doing these?

http://www.stumpsparty.com/party/Big-Heads.cfm

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Kraig, what COST did you come up with when you priced it?

3. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Where's the profit?

4. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I didn't come up with a cost. Apparently these things are in the realm of 36" X 36". Even just setting up the file individually for every single one, and having to give it a cut path I wouldn't be able to do it for that cost, let alone whatever the substrate and ink cost is.

They had just called me wondering if I had a solution for another way to do those. I don't know of anything I could run through a cutter that would be rigid like that. Seems like a CNC machine issue or something of that nature. I don't see how you can fire up a CNC for $15.

5. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    See they already have everyone's head already printed and cut in stock from googles database so when you order they just pull it from the shelf and ship it. It's all made up in the quantity. Very simple.

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    heh

7. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Yea, seems like a huge investment. I wasn't sure how they were done, let alone how you go about organizing that many orders to the point where you make equipment payments at $15 a pop. Cool item...I guess, was just wondering if anyone else was doing them, and what materials.

I assumed it had to be a flatbed deal of some sort. Shipping those must be a nightmare too.

8. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

Someone missed a zero somewhere....or they figured their average order would be for 10 or more of them and they take a loss on 1. (Not sure how they would make any money at 10 either tho).

9. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    actually, on the site it says orders of 99$ + get a 25% discount...so at 8 heads they are only 11.25 each...just wowzers

10. Atomic DNA

Atomic DNA Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Western KY
    You'll probably have someone come in locally asking if you can do it cheaper. People like this crack me up.

11. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    ??? 500K ??? I just did one for the heck of it - here is the cost / time breakdown:
    board $3
    printing on Epson 9700 took under 4 minutes
    cutting by hand - under a minute
    let's say the total cost is $5 - $10 profit in 10 minutes is not a bad deal - it's $50 per hour ( counting incidentals). I'll do it.

12. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    I actually did last year. They wanted to know if I could do them for $10. Remind me to return that call will ya.

13. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm going to just tell them $20 each and sub them all out to you then. Normally they are ambitious with their numbers and they think we'll sell 100's of them, and that slowly comes down to like 10 a month, so I just don't see anyway of touching that price. Not to mention, this place is kind of local to me that's producing these. About 15 minutes from my house, in the next county over.

14. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    I guess I don't care enough to get into a pissing match. If you want, PM me and we'll talk.

15. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    If you have to bust your butt to find a way to do a job like this at a ridiculously low cost, its probably not worth it. We use to print Bench Billboards in the 70's and 80's and not until the owner died that we were asked to re-quote...we found out that we were losing money.

16. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

May 13, 2012
    You sell it to him for $15 and he will sell it for $85.

Most photographers sell an 8x10 for at least $50.