• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone doing motocross graphics with a Roland/Versaworks?

ProVogue

Hi Everyone,

I'm really curious as to what others are doing to prepare a file for printing for motocross graphics. I am having a really hard time getting consistent black colors and gradients. Right now I am designing my moto graphics in Illustrator. My files are saved in RGB and as an EPS. If I save as PDF my gradients NEVER show up in Versaworks. Also, if I'm designing in CMYK my gradients come out washed.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what color mode theyre designing in and how exactly they're preparing each file before they send it into versworks to print? (I'm printing from an XC-540)

Thank you for any help!

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
One small thing that might help is setting your color management to "Max Impact" on the Quality tab within VersaWorks if you are not already doing that. I use .eps files from Illy in CMYK space and make sure that "Compatible Gradient..." is checked when saving.

ProVogue

One small thing that might help is setting your color management to "Max Impact" on the Quality tab within VersaWorks if you are not already doing that. I use .eps files from Illy in CMYK space and make sure that "Compatible Gradient..." is checked when saving.

Thanks Behrmon - I will try that and see if that helps!

heyskull

Good luck trying to make any money with this.
The materials are expensive (only buy substance or convex).
Also the plotter you use has got to be up to cutting very high pressures (I wrecked one).
The outlines for the panels are constantly changing every year and sometimes you will have to spend hours tracing and creating your own.

All you will get is customers loving your designs and then moaning they can get them a lot cheaper on the internet!!!!
This is annoying as a lot of the internet designs are rubbish and the materials used are sub-standard.
It has always bugged me that the client will not complain to the internet seller even though the graphics are flapping in the wind and rub hrough on the first ride , ll based on "they were cheap any way"!

DO NOT cheap out on the material I lost almost £3,000 replacing customers graphics due to another so called MX material not being up to the job.

SC

Stratguru

Looked at doing these too way back when. Then we discovered there are people selling the graphics with the plastics with copyrighted logos for like $50. Not sure how they get away with selling copyrighted logos on ebay..... wait... yes I do.... they sell a bunch and eBay is making so much money they ignore it.

FYI - We do all our work in Illustrator CMYK space. Separate Cut Layer. Save as a TIFF with LZW. Delete art layer, drop in TIFF, Save as: PDF - Press quality. Works like a charm.

54warrior

Looked at doing these too way back when. Then we discovered there are people selling the graphics with the plastics with copyrighted logos for like $50. Not sure how they get away with selling copyrighted logos on ebay..... wait... yes I do.... they sell a bunch and eBay is making so much money they ignore it.

FYI - We do all our work in Illustrator CMYK space. Separate Cut Layer. Save as a TIFF with LZW. Delete art layer, drop in TIFF, Save as: PDF - Press quality. Works like a charm.

I don't use Illustrator, what do you mean "Save as TIFF with LZW"???? I don't know what the LZW means??

Thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't use Illustrator, what do you mean "Save as TIFF with LZW"???? I don't know what the LZW means??

Thanks!

LZW is a lossless compression method that is the default for TIF. Illustrator allows you to choose other compression methods such as ZIP and others.