• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else affected...?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This is my brother (the bald dude) in this video. Their condos caught on fire on Saturday. It apparently started with a brush fire and spread to the condos. He got the kids out and his wife was at the store, but they lost everything - clothes, videos, photos, wedding & engagement rings, cash - everything.

Border

Man, that is terrible. I hope they at least had good insurance to help cover the bulk of the monetary loses. It is hard to imagine a scenario where poof! Literally everything you have ever had is here one day and gone the next.

WildWestDesigns

Man, I remember when the big flood came through here in 2010. You just feel so helpless when something like this are going on. Horrible, just horrible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, just simply wow.

Most of those things can be replaced. At least they're all safe. Like Border said, here's hoping they have good insurance.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, I can't imagine just simply losing everything except what you're wearing. They said the community is being extremely generous, so that's good.

Here's a picture of where the condos used to be:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 106

fresh

I literally lost everything in a house fire about 5 years ago. I woke up, realized the house was on fire, and ran out the front door wearing only a teeshirt... When I got to the hallway (it was a multifamily, I was on the 2nd floor) I remember my cat so I went back in looking for her, and managed to grab a pair of jeans and my jacket before running back out. It was probably 45 seconds from the time I woke up to the time I was outside, even with me turning back around to find my cat... And no, I didn't find her, but she was able to hide in a closet and was fine, a fireman rescued her before the fire was out.

I had no shoes on and it was below freezing. I lost everything, and like an idiot didn't have renter's insurance. You may think "oh I don't own that much stuff, how hard could it be to replace?" Socks aren't cheap, neither are towels and pillowcases. I lost over $2K worth of SHOES alone. I still haven't replaced half of the nicer things that I lost, and I have no nice jewelry anymore.

Anyway, it sucks, but you move on and get all new things. The one thing that will never change now is that I am always aware of exits in the places I stay, and I notice sprinkler systems all the time. I have massive anxiety that my upstairs neighbor is going to burn down our 2-family house, but we can't really afford to move :( But hey, what are the chances of that? At least I have good insurance now!

spudstr

happened to me.. i was at work.. wife was out getting her nails did.. house caught fire..(thats a whole nother isuse on how it caught fire) it was a single family house.. we lost everything and had to rebuild it from the foundation up..

we lost 2 out of the 3 dogs in the fire, all our wedding photos.. memories. everything.. the only thing I had left was the flip flops i wore to work and the clothes I was wearing that day. Very disturbing coming to realize that your homeless and have nothing and have to start over.

OldPaint

hada house/bar burn in pa. i sold it 5 days prior to it burning. was in the prcess of getting stuff i wanted to save and sell...........and lost it all. all my gradeschool/highschool/college drawings, my dads WW2 stuff, his flag from his funeral. brand new SNOW KILN & brent wheel. and the frickin cops had the balls to accuse me of burning it down. 1st thing they wanted to know is how much insurance i had on it........IT UN-INSURABLE, for the last 15 years!!!!!!!!!

divers2deep

My buddy owns a home in the cabins up there, I know the area well! This is an extremely unfortunate event and i wish your brother the best.... Im a full time Fire-medic for 9 yrs, I can only imagine what that scene was like up there. Especially with the lack of man power in there FD. Good Luck!

phototec

Wow, that was bad, as others have said, insurance will be helpful, at least you brother is ok.

The same thing happened to my sister-in-law last summer, north of Austin, some punk kids were playing with fire works in a field near her home, and they started a brush fire about 1/4 mile away, within 15 minutes, police were knocking on their door, gave her and the husband were just 5 minutes to get out of the house and leave the area.

Later that night they saw video on the news of 13 homes that were burned to the ground, including their house, like your brother they lost everything. No one tried to put the fire out or water on their house, the husband said he looked out the back window and could see the fire coming towards his back fence.

I told him I would have got the garden hose and tried to wet the back yard to keep the fire from coming to my house, he told me the police made him leave, they will NOT let you try and save your property....I don't think that's right.

:omg2:

DizzyMarkus

If any donations are being made as a group-- I want to donate :0)

Glad all are ok-- thing are replaceable -- family is not :0)

Markus

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks everyone.

Markus, my fam is fine, but there may be groups set up to accept donations down there. Thanks for offering!