Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else been extorted?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BIG EASY DOES IT, Jun 3, 2015.

1. brycesteiner

brycesteiner Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Ohio
  2. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    ^ Nice... It says "Infected users should check in the Application Data > Application Data > Microsoft > Crypto > RSA folder of their PCs for the private key."

3. DravidDavid

DravidDavid Member

May 9, 2014
    Auckland
    Hmmm, this bug in particular may have been resolved since that article was posted, which was April last year. :(

4. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto

Yes I know but perhaps not... I could not find those folder though in Win7... I am not infected, but curious.

5. Ditchmiester

Ditchmiester Active Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Oswego, IL
    To help combat these email attacks. We just implemented Barracuda Email Security Service. basically you route your email through there spam filter and it pulls out all of the crap and delivers the rest to you. This works much better than the junk filters built into outlook or gmail because it is never delivered to your mail client making it impossible for someone to accidentally open. For up to 50 users its under 400 a year which to me is worth it to not ever have to go through what the OP has gone through.

6. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I resemble that insult. Thank you so very much. Gene :noway:

7. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    +1 for Barracuda. Using it for years now. And I also have three other back up sources. Server, internal backup drives and external drives. Plus all photo's now automatically uploaded to drop box. Yeah I'm paranoid.

8. David Wright

David Wright Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Wyandotte, Mi
    Customer of ours who has a pest control company just got all their files encrypted and a demand for $2000. They do have a backup on the second hard drive in the computer:banghead:

16 years of records and credit card files on hundreds of customers. They don' t even know who owes them money now.

Last I heard they are paying $75 an hour to computer techs to no avail. Next is someone who says he has experience with this. Probably throwing away more money until they finally pay.