• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else hate oracal 3751RA?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Any opinions on this stuff? All I could find was 3751RA in stock for cast and I'm fighting it. Does anyone here use this and have any tricks or would like to commiserate? It's so damn sticky, the slightest touch of it to a panel and it's all over. I'm no pro here but I'm struggling with a real basic graphic application on a truck door. Ruined 2 panels already and I've done these many times before with other brands without any problems.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I thought it was the friendlier cousin of 3951RA?

The first wraps I worked with were printed on 3951 - never touched oracal wrap films after that.

(Sorry, not helpful, but I certainly feel your pain)

d fleming

Can't help but I can understand how you feel, had some customer supplies printed cut graphics on arlon the other day to install on camper. Holy schizznit that is the stickiest crap around. Hated it. Took entirely too long to apply.

Notarealsignguy

Can't help but I can understand how you feel, had some customer supplies printed cut graphics on arlon the other day to install on camper. Holy schizznit that is the stickiest crap around. Hated it. Took entirely too long to apply.
Which Arlon? I just ordered a roll of SLX, I liked the SLX+ but none in stock.

Notarealsignguy

Are you using a hinge method for laying it down. I like the 3551 better but never a problem with 3951 or 375
Just going top down pulling a little backer at a time. It's outside and hot but I usually just let any other material hang and work it down. If this stuff touches anything, its stuck and stretches when you try to snatch it off, even the tiniest bit. It's a big stripe so a little stretch pretty much ruins it. I only got 2 hands, cant let the shit go and don't have a holster so I cant grab the heat gun to work it in certain areas either. I felt like a monkey fuckin a football trying to save this mess. I really like 3551, it's nothing like this stuff. I think Ill just use up this roll on regular signs.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I thought it was the friendlier cousin of 3951RA?

The first wraps I worked with were printed on 3951 - never touched oracal wrap films after that.

(Sorry, not helpful, but I certainly feel your pain)
+1 to this
3951 was awful, too much initial tack
3751 failed to adhere well enough, several wraps failed and ended up losing a customer
Switched to Avery 1105, never a problem
Call Fellers and see if they have 1105

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've never liked any of Oracals printed vinyl... for the reasons you said.. it's too tacky and once it touches you ruin it pulling it off. Try something more mild for your corn holes... that aggressive adhesive will leave you red and sore.

signheremd

Just going top down pulling a little backer at a time. It's outside and hot but I usually just let any other material hang and work it down. If this stuff touches anything, its stuck and stretches when you try to snatch it off, even the tiniest bit. It's a big stripe so a little stretch pretty much ruins it. I only got 2 hands, cant let the **** go and don't have a holster so I cant grab the heat gun to work it in certain areas either. I felt like a monkey ****in a football trying to save this mess. I really like 3551, it's nothing like this stuff. I think Ill just use up this roll on regular signs.
Mask it. We always mask 3751 and 3951 when we use those - even when laminated and RA. No problems then. Arlon SLX printed and laminated is a dream come true with no masking - if you can find it. But Arlon SLX does need to be post form heated where the Oracal 3751 (and 3951) does not.

vondegroot

Arlon wrap is pretty decent.

Bill DiStasio

Just going top down pulling a little backer at a time. It's outside and hot but I usually just let any other material hang and work it down. If this stuff touches anything, its stuck and stretches when you try to snatch it off, even the tiniest bit. It's a big stripe so a little stretch pretty much ruins it. I only got 2 hands, cant let the **** go and don't have a holster so I cant grab the heat gun to work it in certain areas either. I felt like a monkey ****in a football trying to save this mess. I really like 3551, it's nothing like this stuff. I think Ill just use up this roll on regular signs.
Last time I used oracal I wet it.