• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else waiting for a MT540

Mark Your Space

I've ordered mine and was wondering if anyone else has ordered one?

I can't wait for it to get here. I want to start playing around with the metallic pallet. Should be a lot of fun.

speedmedia

Nope but interested to see long term how everything holds up. I can see where it would be cool to use for wraps or something and pos but not sure if the cost would justify it for us anyways.

I am still waiting on a print the can print fluorescent.

Thanks,
Kurt

Mark Your Space

I think it will be great in wraps. I love to ride a motorcycle and I can see some uses on that.

I can also see some nice designs created for personal (verse business) wraps.

In addition to that I will try to sell it on window vinyls and perhaps labels.

Sky is the limit I guess. Cant wait to see what my customers start imagining!

Mark Your Space

The printer arrived last week and we have been creating profiles for materials. It works great! Prints great in CMYK and the metallics we have printed so far look great.

I'm looking forward to exploring the matallics this week.

We will start by creating a laptop/netbook skin and perhaps an iphone skin to start with.

I'll also try to review this product when they put it up there.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd be curious to know as you go along ...

1. Do the metallic impressions have a shorter life than do normal colors? This is true of metallic and non-metallic vinyls in the same series, so it may also be true for printed images.

2. What effect if any does overlaminating have on the metallic impression?

Mark Your Space

I've posted a review of the 540MT after the first 30 days...well almost 30 days.

As far as lams we haven't played with a bunch of them. But once the new pallet of 500 colors is released I will be printing the swatches and I'll try a couple of different lams.

SE SignSupply

The following information was sent to all dealers before the XC-540MT was launched, it was also avaliable on a webinar Roland hosted.

Q. What type of maintenance does the XC
540MT printer/cutter require?
A. As with all Roland printers and printer/cutters, the XC
540MT is very low maintenance and designed to
run continuously as a production machine. However, due to the unique characteristics of metallic silver and
white ink, additional care is required. The pigments in Metallic silver and White tend to cause the ink to
settle in the cartridges, making it necessary to agitate the metallic silver and white cartridges before
installing in the printer and once a day before use.
The XC
540MT includes two firmwarecontrolled maintenance routines to ensure proper operation. When
the printer is ON, the automatic maintenance message
[CIRCULATING INK] will be displayed on the control
panel every 12 hours since the last Ink Circulation. If the printer has been idle for 6 hours or more and
receives a Metallic Silver or White print job, then it will perform an ink circulation cycle followed by an ink
discharge.
A normal ink circulation cycle will utilize roughly 1.5 ml total of metallic silver and white ink. A normal ink
discharge uses approximately 13 ml of metallic silver and white ink combined.
Under normal circumstances when the XC
540MT is printing mostly standard CMYK jobs for several days or
weeks in a row, it will not initiate the ink discharge cycles until a Metallic Silver or White ink job is processed.
The XC
540MT works as efficiently as possible to control ink costs.
The new XC
540MT incorporates an innovative Intelligent Ink Circulation System that greatly reduces the
amount of ink discharged as waste and optimizes ink usage for continuous trouble
free operation.
Q. How does the new Intelligent Ink Circulation System on the XC
540MT work?
A. Consisting of a control system and additional pump for metallic silver and white ink lines, this innovative
system circulates the metallic silver and white inks every 12 hours to prevent the settling of pigments in the
lines. In addition, this system controls the discharge of metallic silver and white ink and minimizes waste by
monitoring the metallic silver and white ink usage and the type of jobs that are printed. A normal ink
circulation uses 1.5ml total for Metallic silver and white. A normal ink discharge uses approximately 13 ml of
metallic silver and white ink combined.
An ink discharge cycle will not be executed unless all following conditions are met: (1) the printer receives a
job with metallic silver or white data, (2) between 6 hours to 72 hours or longer has passed since the last ink
discharge.
Elapsed Time 0 to 6 hours 6 to 72 hours More than 72 hours
Total Ink Consumption 0 ml 13 ml 17ml
As a result, XC
540MT users will typically see a reduction of about 84% in white ink waste when compared

with the XC
540W.