• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever build scale models?

mjkjr

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever built any scale models for your sign jobs? I don't mean just samples, but like scale diaramas like what architect might do. I was considering making some for my showroom and was curious what others have done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did many years ago. Mostly made from gatorboard. They were scaled models, painted and shown to the customer on usually large projects. Don't do it any longer. No one seems to appreciate things like that anymore. Still have some of them around, too. Just don't know where.

mjkjr

Thanks for the response Gino!

Yeah, I agree that things like this are definitely under appreciated by most. But I'm still inclined to do a few just for fun anyway.

I thought about maybe mounting them on the walls of my showroom too.

Any tips that you can share from when you did build them? I've never done any scale model building like this before (only scale resin airplanes, and ages ago).

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had ours out on display at our old shop. The biggest problem is, they are dust collectors and don't hold up against a good dusting after a while. Found that actual samples which people can see or touch work much better. People lack any form of imagination anymore and they don't trust what they can't see or touch.

Only advice, they are very tedious and take a lotta time to complete. Go slow.

:thumb:

rjssigns

Design scale components in AutoCad or similar program. Laser cut pieces, glue pieces together then paint. Make frame for model and cover with clear acrylic. That is how our college has students complete the model building project.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Design scale components in AutoCad or similar program. Laser cut pieces, glue pieces together then paint. Make frame for model and cover with clear acrylic. That is how our college has students complete the model building project.

Yeah, that's the ticket. They didn't have that stuff around wheen we built tbem. We did them all by hand. :banghead: Under glass would be nice. Heck, just build it with a 3D printer. Just use the original ratios and tell it 1/20the scale or something.