• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever have their dongle seperate?

onesmf

My dongle came apart. I had to use needle nose pliers to remove the USB portion of the dongle from my computer. I used super glue then hot glue in an attempt to repair the dongle, to no avail. That did not last and it came apart again. Has anyone encountered the same problem and arrived at a solution? As a result of this, I am relegated to leaving the dongle in my CPU. It is a problem because I normally design on my laptop when away from home and don't wan't to limit myself to designing at the office. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, I would like to avoid purchasing a new key, if possible. Thanks for any advice and make a great day for yourself!

iSign

Flexi has another option, & I don't know the whole story, but it's some kind of web based activation I think. There are pros and cons, but I think the ability to use the software on different machines, at different times should be allowed, without the risk & hassle of moving dongles. The downsides might include an upfront cost to switch... but if yours is fubar'd anyway... it might be the perfect time to upgrade (or downgrade as the case may be for some) ...I guess I would worry about the internet going down & then you can't use the software.. but I've never had the net go down other than when the power goes down for a few hours every year... so can't say that would worry me all that much really...

Wildpony

The cable Idea would work. I have some usb cables that are only about 2-4 inches long. Tape the dongle to it ans make it one unit.
There used to be a website that would take your dongle and convert it to a software version so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking or loosing it. It sounded like it was legit. You needed the dongle and proof of purchase of the software. I think they charged $200 - $300 dollars for it. Just wish I still had the website.

Get a USB hub or cable and plug the dongle into it and move it around!

iSign

The cable Idea would work. I have some usb cables that are only about 2-4 inches long. Tape the dongle to it ans make it one unit.
There used to be a website that would take your dongle and convert it to a software version so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking or loosing it. It sounded like it was legit. You needed the dongle and proof of purchase of the software. I think they charged $200 - $300 dollars for it. Just wish I still had the website.

I think the legal issue comes into question, and the way to answer it is usually with a lawyer, so I can't answer it. I think it is as legal as a magic shop selling lock pic tools... their part is legal, it just depends what you do with it.

I used similar software for CasMate, after scanvec ceased all support. As far as I understand the DMCA (law) that is a legitimate use. For Flexi, folks may have different views.

http://safe-key.com/solutions.html

cgsigns_jamie

Flexi has another option, & I don't know the whole story, but it's some kind of web based activation I think. There are pros and cons, but I think the ability to use the software on different machines, at different times should be allowed, without the risk & hassle of moving dongles. The downsides might include an upfront cost to switch... but if yours is fubar'd anyway... it might be the perfect time to upgrade (or downgrade as the case may be for some) ...I guess I would worry about the internet going down & then you can't use the software.. but I've never had the net go down other than when the power goes down for a few hours every year... so can't say that would worry me all that much really...

Actually when I upgraded I had to pay EXTRA to keep my hardware key. It was an additional $100 per license (I have 4 keys and they still didn't cut me a break). They told me it cost more to "engineer" the software to work with a hardware key :rolleyes:
They didn't care that I was a customer since CasMate 1 and I had already owned the hardware key and just wanted to continue using what I already owned.

I love Flexi, and use it everyday, and it's made me a lot of money but that (lack of) customer service really upset me.

If you do use the software activation you have to be sure to "de-authorize" Flexi on one computer before it can be authorized on another.

iSign

Actually when I upgraded I had to pay EXTRA to keep my hardware key. It was an additional $100 per license.
hmmm... I guess I probably had to pay as well, because I chose the hardware option too... but that's ok, I'm sure I was also correct that he will have to pay going the other direction as well :rolleyes:

S

Sign-Man Signs

Flexi should replace it at no cost, but you're going to have to send them the old one.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
The separation actually happened to me once a few years back. It was a USB dongle for postershop. Called onyx and they sent me a new copy of the key the next day. Had to send the broken one back immediately or they would charge me for it.

andy

Flexi sign dongles DON'T work.

If they did the web wouldn't be flooded with dodgy people selling hacked copies of flexi.

As protection for Scanvec the dongles are hopeless. As tools for irritating legit customers and putting people off from buying legit software they are excellent.

Cheaper to buy Corel X3 and then you don't have to worry about stupid dongles and expensive upgrades.

iSign

Flexi sign dongles DON'T work...
...As tools for irritating legit customers and putting people off from buying legit software they are excellent.

Cheaper to buy Corel X3 and then you don't have to worry about stupid dongles and expensive upgrades.

...this way, you also save $40K on the printer you wouldn't be able to run when you trade Flexi for Corel.

I'm still not sure what most irritates that small minority of malcontent Flexi users that kvetch all the time... is it the rare issues they encounter, or is it the majority of Flexi users flocking to make it the most successful sign software, while proceeding to have fun making money hand over fist... :thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
My dongle works fine,its a nice lavender/purple color and even lights up when I put it in the right place.

wayne k
guam usa

andy

Hmmm, If I spent 40 grand on a printer I'd want a proper high end RIP like Shiraz or PosterShop not some cr@ppy RIP engine tossed into Flexi as an after thought.