Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever make a portable 4' W x 8' H A-frame/sandwich board?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by White Haus, Jun 25, 2019.

1. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We have a project that involves some 4'W x 8'H coroplast signs for a street party coming up this weekend. (Canada Day, eh!)

Customer is on a tight budget but we've offered to help/sponsor as much as we can.

That being said - we need to come up with something that will accommodate (2) 4'W x 8'H coroplast signs back to back with the conditions that it needs to be freestanding, portable, and easy to set up/break down.

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

I've attached my half-a$$ concept that I think will work, but thought I'd bounce it off you guys in case someone has done this before. I would use 2x4's and still need to come up with something for the hinges while keeping it cheap. Ideally it would fold flat for storage and moving around, with the feet having the ability to be locked together to throw sandbags/water bags on it to secure it.

Edited to add: Please ignore the obviously flawed perspective of my drawing. Just quickly sketched it out to see if it made sense more than anything.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I have done similar. 2x4 frame with thru bolted strap hinges.
    If you plan on weighting it all you need is chain to limit the spread

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I slapped this together with 1x3's last summer for some craft shows my mom and I did. It was light weight yet sturdy enough for the weight of the wood. Hinges worked great. Maybe a chain or strap would be better for you vs. twine LOL

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Thanks Stacey, that gives me some good ideas! That's a really cool rustic looking frame! :toasting:

5. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Thank you, I should add that if it's windy, you might want to have a couple of cement weights tied to rope underneath by the hinges to hold the sandwich board down. We use those at the craft fairs on each corner of the tent if its windy.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  6. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

You can get piano hinges at the hardware store. Use chains and eyescrews to hold the legs. If you mount them low, you can put sandbags on the chains.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    It must be 'A' frame week......... had 2 different people come in yesterday for some. Not 4x8, but custom made.

So, ya want cheap.....??​

Get two 4x8's of roof sheathing, hinge together at the top and cut little legs outta the bottom, so it doesn't sit the entire width on the ground. Either tie a rope or a chain from the back to the other side to keep from falling apart and if you need weight, I'd run a small 2x3 runner and sandbag it. Staple or screw your Cor-X fast and you're outta it for less than $150, your cost.

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    1 day? 6mm coro, rebar cemented into two 5 gal buckets of cement. As long as its a nice calm day, eh?

9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    cheap, portable, ....does it have to be freestanding?
    my quickest/cheapest fix would be to just make banners with pole pockets and run a strap through it.... and string it between posts/fence/trees you have available in the area.

else, if freestanding is needed, I'd just build an A-frame from lumber with long "feet" to resist tipping and secure with sandbags.

10. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    10mm coro with slots cut 10mm wide on cross pieces. I sheet double faced. Use weights at bottom if windy. by making 4x8 coro1.jpg coro2.jpg

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I think they want the 8' up & down.......................

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Just cut the slots on the 4' side of the 4x8, no problem, thanks Gino for catching that. Thats why they pay you the big bucks!

13. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    We've done something similar...with 10mm Coro though. Hinge the top, chain the bottoms together.