Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone flatbed printing clear plexi?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by soundhound, Nov 20, 2017.

1. soundhound

soundhound Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Montpelier, Vermont
    I saw something recently... might have been a new plexiglas finish or formulation that would allow it to be flatbed printed without warping or causing the problems it has been causing.

Wondering if anyone has tried or is using this tech, and if they are doing outsourcing.

I have some clients that need a small amount of this...

And I am interested in determining the outdoor durability of such a process.

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    We've been printing in cast acrylic for 4+ years on our machine... never had a panel warp, so don't know what this "new" formulation is.
    We prefer to stick with using Optix DA as it has inbuilt adhesion promoters, otherwise Shinkolite is our next go-to media.

3. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    cheap thin acrylic will bow with heat from the uv lamps. if were running thin acrylic with 2X passes and white - its really slow and gets a lot of lamp time causing it to warp up. We just turn one of the two lamps off when we run those types of jobs.

4. ChrisN

ChrisN Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Denver, PA
    I haven't seen anything marketed as not warping - the only specialty print acrylic I know of is designed for better adhesion.

I've had problems with the sheets being warped from the supplier, but rarely from the actual printing process. The advantage of a true flatbed is you can tape the edges of the sheet down to seal it to the bed.

5. chinaski

chinaski New Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Finland
    I print 4mm extruded acrylic regularly and I've never had problems with warping while printing. Sometimes it's warped from poor storage but since it's double-sided I flip the material over and that solves it. The vacuum works better when corners are bent "down", rather than "up". Make sure you're getting the most out of your vacuum by masking off the rest of the bed. If your vacuum is weak, you could always use a bit of thin double-sided tape.

Is cast different from extruded in rigidity or sensitivity to heat? I've read otherwise, but I was told by my supplier that both have same sensitivity to scratching and are practically the same. Anyone test this?

6. Nick Denny

Nick Denny Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Wichita, KS
    Same here. I print on clear acrylic pretty often on our Arizona flatbed and the only times I've had issues is when the material was warped to begin with. I've also used our HP FB500 hybrid with good results.

7. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    No idea... our suppliers only sell us cast, not extruded so we have never tried it.