• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone have a removable curtain/divider in their shop?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We're adding a flatbed cutter w/ router in a couple of weeks. I'm debating whether or not we should add some kind of curtain/divider for when we're routing. The router will be about 10-15' away from our flatbed printer (not ideal, I know). I don't plan on routing much wood....mostly just dibond/pvc/acrylic here and there as needed.

Has anyone done this? Any pics/examples/pointers?

Our ceilings are about 20' high, but I do have a scissor lift for the next week, so now would be the time to do it.

Pics to show rough area where unit is going. (Green taped off square, where Mimaki laminator is) Don't mind the mess....this is what trying to do renovations while being operational looks like.

It would probably have to be 2 straight curtains or 1 curved...but I really can't visualize how that would work without hangers in the way of the track.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2020-06-23 09.12.17.jpg
    2020-06-23 09.12.17.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 395
  • 2020-06-23 09.10.40.jpg
    2020-06-23 09.10.40.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 280
  • 2020-06-23 09.10.20.jpg
    2020-06-23 09.10.20.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 249

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I dont but think it is a good idea. They are common in body shops to contain dust from prep work.
https://www.tarpsnow.com/body-shop-curtains.html

Sweet, thank you! Will look into these. At the very least now I can wrap my ahead around how the hangers work.

Nice work area. You are using every bit of space pretty well.

Thanks. Our current set up works really well, I sure hope squeezing a flatbed cutter in won't mess things up. There's another third of the shop not shown there, with computers/edge set up/more work benches and install bay.

CanuckSigns

Hey Pat, I'm going to be facing the same question in a few weeks, we pulled the trigger on the summa as well.

When I did the demo on the summa, I tested the router with dibond and acrylic, and there really wasn't any airborne particles, the dust boot really seemed to work well at sucking it up I to the shop vac. Wood might be another story though.

Looking at your shop, could you not turn the work table at the front 90 degrees and move the flatbed forward more to give more room between the summa and the flatbed? Or move the Roland to where you are planning on putting the summa and installing the summa there?

Also, your towering wall of vinyl behind the printers is giving me an anxiety attack lol, how do you get rolls down?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
The coloured vinyls are just for show. Guaranteed if I was anywhere within 10’ of those I’d have them all toppled over, they’d rip the power/network cables out the printers and Id definitely be on Santa’s naughty list.

Brandon708

I divide my shop with a wall of pallet racks and have a huge banner on one side and openings where you can walk through with the clear vinyl stripping. I’ll try to remember to post a photo. I have it dividing the “dirty” area and it also helps with all the heat or AC getting out when the bay door is opened.

ikarasu

We have a huge shop - in the 30-50,000 sqft range.

Our CNC is in the corner - When cutting certain materials such as polyplate / wood... the dust will land on the other end of the shop. Aluminim and acyrlic shavings can be found in every crevice as well.... Dust is light and will spread with any ventilation / air.

Our printers are on the second floor... and they still get some weird soot / dust from some of the stuff we cut ontop of them. I know this isnt what you want to hear... but I can't imagine having it within 10 ft of a cnc. You can build a wall/roof around it... but it'll still get tons of dust inside from opening / closing doors... And with heads costing $4-5000 on flatbeds, I wouldnt want to risk it.

I would move your plotter to where your flatbed is... your flatbed to the corner where the plotter is, and your closest roll to roll machine even further away as I don't think it's far enough even. Thatd be the best layout.

If you're not cutting often you may get away with it, but I doubt you'd have bought a CNC if you don't plan on using it often... You can be very meticulous when you're routing, but dust and particles are going to get all over your shop sadly!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hey Pat, I'm going to be facing the same question in a few weeks, we pulled the trigger on the summa as well.

When I did the demo on the summa, I tested the router with dibond and acrylic, and there really wasn't any airborne particles, the dust boot really seemed to work well at sucking it up I to the shop vac. Wood might be another story though.

Looking at your shop, could you not turn the work table at the front 90 degrees and move the flatbed forward more to give more room between the summa and the flatbed? Or move the Roland to where you are planning on putting the summa and installing the summa there?

Also, your towering wall of vinyl behind the printers is giving me an anxiety attack lol, how do you get rolls down?

Good to know, thanks Scott! Definitely wouldn't be routing wood on a regular basis. Congrats on your purchase! Hopefully we can share some ideas once we both have them up and running. I think we're finally ready after running power and getting a compressor, computer etc.

The coloured vinyls are just for show. Guaranteed if I was anywhere within 10’ of those I’d have them all toppled over, they’d rip the power/network cables out the printers and Id definitely be on Santa’s naughty list.

Yep, pretty much just for show. Now that you mention it I think I'll throw them out since they're just collect dust there and making the area look more cluttered!

I divide my shop with a wall of pallet racks and have a huge banner on one side and openings where you can walk through with the clear vinyl stripping. I’ll try to remember to post a photo. I have it dividing the “dirty” area and it also helps with all the heat or AC getting out when the bay door is opened.

Would love to check that out, thanks.

We have a huge shop - in the 30-50,000 sqft range.

Our CNC is in the corner - When cutting certain materials such as polyplate / wood... the dust will land on the other end of the shop. Aluminim and acyrlic shavings can be found in every crevice as well.... Dust is light and will spread with any ventilation / air.

Our printers are on the second floor... and they still get some weird soot / dust from some of the stuff we cut ontop of them. I know this isnt what you want to hear... but I can't imagine having it within 10 ft of a cnc. You can build a wall/roof around it... but it'll still get tons of dust inside from opening / closing doors... And with heads costing $4-5000 on flatbeds, I wouldnt want to risk it.

I would move your plotter to where your flatbed is... your flatbed to the corner where the plotter is, and your closest roll to roll machine even further away as I don't think it's far enough even. Thatd be the best layout.

If you're not cutting often you may get away with it, but I doubt you'd have bought a CNC if you don't plan on using it often... You can be very meticulous when you're routing, but dust and particles are going to get all over your shop sadly!

Thanks for your insight. I know it's definitely not ideal having them that close. I think I will have the flatbed printer moved over when the tech comes to do the annual maintenance in the fall. After a week of tinkering and painting we've finally got the shop back to normal so I think I'll run the router as is for a bit and just keep an eye on what happens with the dust. Would love to just add a big huge curtain now but need to get caught up on production!!

Brandon708

Here is the pallet rack divider at my shop

Attachments

• BF348DD3-38C5-4DB3-9A95-9732E6C310A5.jpeg
    BF348DD3-38C5-4DB3-9A95-9732E6C310A5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 156
  • 7252B6C9-D1A2-4F78-A820-3C504E4F7CAE.jpeg
    7252B6C9-D1A2-4F78-A820-3C504E4F7CAE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 164

netsol

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

We're adding a flatbed cutter w/ router in a couple of weeks. I'm debating whether or not we should add some kind of curtain/divider for when we're routing. The router will be about 10-15' away from our flatbed printer (not ideal, I know). I don't plan on routing much wood....mostly just dibond/pvc/acrylic here and there as needed.

Our ceilings are about 20' high, but I do have a scissor lift for the next week, so now would be the time to do it.

Pics to show rough area where unit is going. (Green taped off square, where Mimaki laminator is) Don't mind the mess....this is what trying to do renovations while being operational looks like.

It would probably have to be 2 straight curtains or 1 curved...but I really can't visualize how that would work without hangers in the way of the track.

Thanks in advance.

white haus
we are actually doingbthis right now (next week, actually)
moving from a tiny, 500 sq ft retail,space setting up in a 4500 sq ft warehouse & realizing we would like more space

i am puttong in 2 floor to ceiling curtains, but am having 2nd thoughts and wish i was using bifold doors, like we e doing in the offi

we are seperating the dirty

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
Good to know, thanks Scott! Definitely wouldn't be routing wood on a regular basis. Congrats on your purchase! Hopefully we can share some ideas once we both have them up and running. I think we're finally ready after running power and getting a compressor, computer etc.

Yep, pretty much just for show. Now that you mention it I think I'll throw them out since they're just collect dust there and making the area look more cluttered!

Would love to check that out, thanks.

Thanks for your insight. I know it's definitely not ideal having them that close. I think I will have the flatbed printer moved over when the tech comes to do the annual maintenance in the fall. After a week of tinkering and painting we've finally got the shop back to normal so I think I'll run the router as is for a bit and just keep an eye on what happens with the dust. Would love to just add a big huge curtain now but need to get caught up on production!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html