Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have an alps printer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Printers' started by Rickey J, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Rickey J

Rickey J Member

Dec 28, 2005
    St. Louis Mo
    I bought an alps printer really cheap and I pluged it in and I get an error light and when it goes through its test it makes a noise. So I took it all appart and there seemed to be nothing wrong. Can anyone tell me if I am looking in the right places for the problem?

Tags:
  2. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    I have a MD-5000 w/sub dye key.....
    But have never taken it apart......

Do you get any printer head movement when you power it up?

I have thought about selling mine with all the carts I have as I don't do much with it at the present time and they are going for $$$ on eBay....

3. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Do you have an ink cartridge installed? If not, the unit might be looking for one. The Alps do make a lot of racket when they power on, and the unit will go through and check every installed cartridge. I guess that it figures out which color is installed in which position. The cartidges have barcodes on them so the unit can tell which is which. If you are planning to get 3rd party ink, keep the Alps cartridges so that you can refill them and the unit can read the barcodes.

4. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    theres a whole yahoo group dedicated to the Alps I have tought of buying one for dye sub but not in need so reading lots of pros & cons. on the yahoo group