• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone have edge roll or peelback with 3M V3?

stickasteve

I wrapped 4 different vehicles with the V3 and have had some simple stretched areas start to peel back on me. I don't use the V1 or V2 because of the ribbing. I have contacted 3M and am waiting on a response. It's not nearly my first time wrapping so I'm wondering has anyone had any experience trying to get 3M to warranty their product, or if anyone has any advise on the matter. I used to use Avery MPI1005EZRS but switched because I heard Avery is terrible to use, but had no problems with it.

Any advise would be helpful.

Speeddm

That is the reason I wont use v1 v2 or v3. Weve used 1005EZ for years. mostly good but 08 rolls sucked. 09 way better imagine issues fixed.

Fire extinguisher standing by.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I do not know your skill level but there are 4 things that cause prints to fail and any one of them or a combonation of several can and will cause failures.

1. The vinyl need a clean non porous surface, free from wax and all contaminents.

2. If the prints are not cured properly, the solvent will breaks down the adhesive. You will know by: the smell, when you peel the liner the edges will curl, adhesive is overly agressive, and the prints stretch easily.

3. Too much stretching. When you stretch the vinyl the memory will want to pull it back to it's original shape. The adhesive also gets stretched. Less adhesive has less holding power.

4. It takes at least 24 hours for the adhesive to wet out and build maximum bond. During that 24 hours, and before it has reached maximum bond the vinyl is shrinking an pulling away from the problem areas. You must post heat all indentations, edges and problem areas even if you didn't stretch the vinyl. The proper tempurature is aprox 220 deg depending on the manufacture. Some manufactures claim that this erases some of the memory in the vinyl, but all agree that this makes the vinyl wet out and build maximum bond immediately.

5. With 3m Primer 94 is suggested for problem areas. It is an adhesive promoter and best used with thin/light applications. It has no strength or holding power it's own. If you glop it on it will not work properly.

stickasteve

Check out my website... I'm no rookie for sure. www.stwgraphics.com I didn't have a problem with avery graphics other than the inability to stay in channels. I love how the V3 works on flat panels but lately it has sucked some serious ass. Maybe my post heating sucks. I'll post up some pics as soon as the customer comes back to drop this biotch off for repair.

HotWraps

We have had failings from 3M as well.

We followed all procedures and hoops that they made us jump through, to report the issue as a material failure. In the end they decided not to honor their warranty. As such we do not use V3 any more.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Y'all are scaring me...

We use the 3M v3 exclusively now... not seeing any problems, but now I'm worried...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Your good Dawg. V3 is more agressive than V1 or 2 and should be less likely to fail.

For a while a majority of the manufactures were trying to make their products easy to install. "anyone can do it"

Now it seems that all the manufacturs, except the ones that were agressive to begin with, are making the products more agressive. I think they are doing this to combat all the solvent soaked vinyl and over stretching going on. They got tired of all the product failure calls.

The industry wanted people to believe that all you need was a printer, a 2 day wrap class, and vinyl and you too could be a wrapper. Now they are paying for it.