Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have experience with Designboard HDU?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by walters signs, Feb 14, 2010.

1. walters signs

walters signs Member

May 8, 2008
    I read about a HDU product called Deisngboard. I have used SignFoam and PrecisionBoard, but not Deisgn board, is Design board easier to handcarve or is basicallythe same product under a different brandname.

Also anyone have any reccomendations on quality sculpting clay for signs?

Tags:
  2. mshi

mshi New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    It is basically the same, usually costs a little less than the Precision Board. The only complaints I have heard is that the Designboard has had some consistancy issues, mainly not finising well, large pits, etc. The company that makes them though is continually working on improving the product. I would find distributor that carries and have them order you a workable size sample for you to test.

3. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I've used a lot of it over the years. I haven't had any problems with it.

4. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Corafoam by Duna is better. Magicsculpt from Abracadabra Signs works well for sculpting.

5. rkguy

rkguy New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    who makes it?

Who makes Design Board?
    Are there any distributors in Western Canada?
    Thanks
    Ryan

6. cartar929

cartar929 Member

Jan 5, 2011
    We get Designboard from N.Glantz and Son(http://www.nglantz.com/) and use the 18lb density. That is what I would recommend using, because I feel there is a big difference in quality from the 15 to the 18.

We use to use Sign Foam III in the 18lb from Harbor, but the price was just too much. I feel that the Designboard is a pretty equal competitor. We don't really hand-carve anything all of our dimensional work is done using a CNC.

Here are some pictures of some signs where we have used Designboard.

Attached Files:

7. cartar929

cartar929 Member

Jan 5, 2011
    thanks pat