• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone have tips on wrapping a steel drum?

OlsonSigns601

Being that this thead is several days old now, I would be interested to see how they turned out and what method was taken to complete.

animenick65

Apply male/female velcro to ridges, apply male/female velcro to sized 2mm PVC/Sintra, apply graphic to barrel, with proper measurements sintra should line up to itself when it wraps around. Can top the barrel with a contour cut piece of PVC that covers the top of barrel as well as the gap between the edge of the barrel and the PVC cause by the ridges of the barrel.

J Hill Designs

until that picture came, I thought he was trying to wrap a steel drum -- and I was like huh? what are you guys talking about? :thumb:

Attachments

• steel_drum.jpg
    steel_drum.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 78

WrapYourCar

if using the right material, it shouldn't be too hard, i think he is trying to keep it as tight to the shape of the oil drum as possible, whats the graphic going onto the drum? if it's just a basic logo, could you paint the background color first?.

I knew exactly what he was talking about..unfortunately. Because a client asked me to do the same years ago,no way I would even attempt it.

the solution we ultimately ended up using was to paint the drums a base color and a few of them were horizontally striped which was no big deal, a little extra time, labor, materials. And after painting the base color/background we installed printed sponsor logos & misc graphics.

no way I would even attempt to wrap them in one piece. I have seen the reverse style wrapped (where instead of raised 'ribs' there is 'indents/grooves'. The other thing I have seen people do is install 'panels' leaving the raised ribs unwrapped,& the installer simply rattle canned the ribs prior to installation the same color as the panels...i have also seen them left unpainted.

MikePro

+1 to simply wrapping in 3-sections and avoiding the ribs all-together.
you can always overlay strips over the ribs before/after if you'd like to give them some color as well.