• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone heard of this brand of laminator

Precision Eng

A local company has this 53 inch laminator for sale...any thought on it...
good, bad, whats it worth.

Applikator 4R Plus

Mike

Attachments

• Applikator 4R Plus.jpg
    Applikator 4R Plus.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 209

tiredcreations

I saw that ad too. They told me they would separate, $2500 for it. I did a few searches & couldn't come up with much on that brand.

I'm curious too.

Good luck.

MikePro

i'd ask to see it in action... there's really not much to a laminator, really.
If it sucks, you'll see it right away. Other than that, its really just a giant squeegee.

Precision Eng

I saw that ad too. They told me they would separate, $2500 for it. I did a few searches & couldn't come up with much on that brand.

I'm curious too.

Good luck.

I sent the guy an email about it but haven't heard anything back yet.
$2500 might not be a bad price depending on how it works, but what bothers me is I can't find any distributors in the USA for it. My only findings is it looks like it was made in Australia, not that they aren't good products but I worry about getting repair parts if and when needed.

Mike

gbarker

I have one of these. It is made in Australia and was distributed by... shoot I don't remember, I can picture their logo though. Red white and blue with stars USA something. I think they were bought out or merged with another supplier... Sign Supply USA I believe.

Replacement Parts-
I've had it for a few years and nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

Quality-
Not the best laminator out there but it works okay.

Material I use-
50" Oracal 210 and 290 both work great in it for 48" prints. I reuse the backing if I can for the carrier paper. You can also get 50" or 52" braper from some suppliers as a carrier. It's marketed as a 54" laminator but 54" won't fit. I think this is from the metric conversion then rounded up to the nearest inch...

Not much for adjustments, all manual with allen wrenches. No way to tell how much pressure is being applied and there are 4 screws for each of the two rollers (two screws on each side for each top roller).

Rollers are small and weak.
Works for laminating anything under 60" or so but I have found anything beyond that is a crap shoot. Prints have a tendency to bunch up in the middle and wrinkle somewhere around 60" - 80" into the print. I have had 'some luck' with long (96") prints though. This is most likely a end user setup problem.

Don't try to mount vinyl onto 10mm coro or similar product. Rollers bend in the middle and you end up with a BIG air bubble down the center of your print. Works great for mounting 4mm coro though.

It uses large bands to run the backing take-up reels which are easily super glued back together if they break. Mine broke once a few years ago and the super glue has been holding since. This repair is per the user manual. They work pretty good and keep the right amount of tension on the backing take-up reels.

It will encapsulate, meaning you can run laminate on top and bottom if desired. However, if you encapsulate you don't have anywhere to put your print supply roll/sheets. You will have to roll the prints and feed them manually. I normally do this anyway since I have trouble with long runs.

It lacks a take up reel for prints after laminating.

All in all, with small signs and small prints it is a good machine.

gbarker

One more thing, Judging by the picture you need to ask about the large rubber bands and the additional supply or take-up reel. Looks like one is missing in the pic. Probably laying against a wall somewhere, that's where mine is...