• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone here build their own CNC?

player

I don't want to tinker and build/upgrade a CNC, I want to make money using a CNC. Then use the money to have fun in a way that has nothing to do with signs or CNC or printing.

David Wright

As far as do it yourself panel saws, I bought a kit from Sawtrax around 20 years. Took it apart years back but still have the rails, saw holder etc. the rest was made from plywood.

Billct2

There's lots of signmakers who like to spend time doing things like building their own CNC, building computers, fabricating assorted specialty tools etc. Lots of mechanically inclined, engineering savvy, computer skilled people. For them it's enjoyable and can be profitable. Me, no way, I get a headache just thinking about upgrading software or servicing one of our printers.

UVRay

Thanks for all the answers guys, it's appreciated big time.

My boss is now stalling me on building my own CNC... I guess he doesn't have the confidence I can build a decent one for under $6k.

My original plan was to use supported rails with twin ballscrew drives on the bed and single ballscrew on my gantry and buy a prebuilt Z axis unit with ballscrew off ebay. I want to use Mach3 software and a hand controller. I was going with the Gecko 540 controllers with USB, 2kw water cooled spindle motor.

Do you think that twin NEMA 23 motors around 640oz. driving twin Ballscrews is adequate to drive the Gantry up and down the bed?

The frame was going to be 8020 extruded aluminum sitting on a mdf bed. The rails would attach to the extruded frame. The gantry was going to have 1/2" aluminum side frames with supported rails spanning the gantry. Driving the gantry would be a single NEMA 23 motor w/640 oz.

A question about the motors, do I need to consider gear reduction drives or simply couple directly to the ballscrews?

I'm mainly wanting this to cut my print media, mostly sintra and styrene. Later on I would consider work in 3D signage, etc. Not really looking to cut anything tougher than media right now. Later on I may want to mill some mdf sheetings in relief that we currently do on one of our shop Komos.

thanks!
Ray

fixtureman

Thanks for all the answers guys, it's appreciated big time.

My boss is now stalling me on building my own CNC... I guess he doesn't have the confidence I can build a decent one for under $6k.

My original plan was to use supported rails with twin ballscrew drives on the bed and single ballscrew on my gantry and buy a prebuilt Z axis unit with ballscrew off ebay. I want to use Mach3 software and a hand controller. I was going with the Gecko 540 controllers with USB, 2kw water cooled spindle motor.

Do you think that twin NEMA 23 motors around 640oz. driving twin Ballscrews is adequate to drive the Gantry up and down the bed?

The frame was going to be 8020 extruded aluminum sitting on a mdf bed. The rails would attach to the extruded frame. The gantry was going to have 1/2" aluminum side frames with supported rails spanning the gantry. Driving the gantry would be a single NEMA 23 motor w/640 oz.

A question about the motors, do I need to consider gear reduction drives or simply couple directly to the ballscrews?

I'm mainly wanting this to cut my print media, mostly sintra and styrene. Later on I would consider work in 3D signage, etc. Not really looking to cut anything tougher than media right now. Later on I may want to mill some mdf sheetings in relief that we currently do on one of our shop Komos.

thanks!
Ray

Your boss may be right as software to do the cam work can run more than that Vectric Aspire is $2000 and is very good for the cost.

How big is the table? Long ballscrews are expansive . I would go with rack and pinion. what kind of rails? Nema 23 usually has 1/4 shaft. You better of with nema 34.

UVRay

The ball screws are 3300mm and really aren't that expensive. Using twin 640oz NEMA 23 motors on the X Axis isn't enough when using ball screws and linear rails? I can do larger motors if necessary, I was under the impression the dual 640's are strong enough to drive the gantry up and down the bed.

player

Buy a used Shopbot with at least the 4g controller. It will work fine for what you want. Used in the 6K+ range.

Dave1

Diy cnc router

I built my first CNC machine early last year, it is a MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC). I made it on my Printrbot Simple Metal
3d printer. The router has a 24 X 26 inch work area. All printed parts and EMT conduit for the rails. Hardware and controllers are off the shelf parts. This machine was capable if very intricate 2.5 d routing, using a Dewalt dw611 router as the work end. This machine has proved to be not nearly rigid enough to do many projects without having to replace worn 3d printed parts.but for under $300 what do you expect. I have recently embarked upon my next build which will take me to the next level. i am basing my design on the Open Source "BIG OX" cnc using a new aluminum extrusion called C Beam. With Chili Pepper as software and TinyG as the controler, I will be using a 400
watt liquid cooled spindle and acme screws on all axis.Work area will be 31" by 32" with a platform of 48"x48". cost of build is around $2300.