• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone here doing the same business model as www.stickermule.com?

unclebun

The way you need to look at it is in terms of: if I had twice the business and had to hire someone, am I making enough money that I could pay them to do exactly the same thing I am doing? And would I be able to buy the equipment they would need to do the work? If the answer is no, then you cannot do the work that cheap even if it's just you and you're willing to not pay yourself minimum wage or whatever you'd have to pay to be able to keep an employee who is as capable as you.

Lazarus

Thank you all guys! You are all very much helpful, something I like in this group. Im just learning the whole workflow especially the logistics. Yes! shipping in Canada sucks and thats the reason why I limit my area of coverage unless they will cover shipping. My advantage would be high quality and yet cheaper compared to StickerMule, faster turn around, free logo design with unlimited revision if the order is more than 500 stickers. I will be doing this on the side, its hard to give up the pension I am getting from working in the government. :)

Hi there to a fellow Canadian! :)

I love your excitement and energy towards this, don't let that die down.

Also it's amazing how supportive and helpful everyone here is, it's refreshing.
It's been two months since you posted this topic, how is your business doing now?

Would like to add, being dependable outweighs being cheaper. There's plenty of market available, if you can offer the same quality work as SM, at the very least charge the same price and not less.

FYI: I'm in Toronto and charge marginally more than them and charge for design as well. My cost reflects my needs as a smaller brick and mortar shop, thankfully customers understand that and have no qualms when their needs are being met.

Good luck!

StickerBee

So far so good. Not much production lately as Im tied up much time with my day job. Interestingly enough, most of my orders now are TSHIRTS especially for work and fundraising. I do get small sticker orders but mostly on a bumper sticker.

HulkSmash

good luck, you will make approx 0 dollars doing this type of work. small runs are never profitable, unless you don't put a dollar amount on your time.

CanuckSigns

keep in mind a company like stickermule, or any other large volume decal company would be printing decals like this on 54" rolls and cutting them on something like a Summa F-series cutter, they have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on automation so their staffing costs are very low, they can most likely print and cut on order for less than my cost on just the ink would be because of their purchasing volume.

Take if from someone that has been in this industry for a little while, do not even attempt to compete with them on pricing, find something else that sets you apart. Look into industrial type of work, there is tons more money to be made printing industrial labels and machinery decals than you will ever make printing fundraising decals for little johnny's soccer team. with the right market, you can get close to $40 sq/ft for printed decals.