• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone installed on an autoclaved concrete wall before?

showcase 66

I have a client that I am putting up a 4'x4' sign on his building and I just heard back from the city for his permit and they told me my permit had been denied. They said the building was made of "not normal" building materials. I called the client and he told me that his entire building including interior walls was made from autoclaved concrete. They are the only building in the area with it and from what he said, the city had a fit trying to inspect it during construction.

The city said they would consider me putting up a sign on the building if I can show that it is safe. I know this is going to turn into a headache. Trying to get some info on this stuff so I can run some calcs.

So has anyone installed on this material before, and if so, what did you use to anchor it in.

From what I am reading, you think of it as wood. It is easy to drill thru and the owner of the building said he hammers in nails to hang pictures.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of 4' x 4' sign? is it just a panel? or cabinet?

I would use an expansion anchors or most likely epoxy anchors. Get the spec sheet for the bolts, get a spec. sheet for the concrete and include that in the submittal. Worse case scenario get it engineered.

visual800

reason #56 not to get permits, dealing with idiots!

I would use expansion anchors also or large lag bolts with epoxy if this is lit sign. If this is a panel I would just use small lags with epoxy and some silicone on the sign.

I read about this stuff and I think if it were ME i would choose the installation methods.