• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone know of an online course that teaches how to design grunge graphics?

0igo

Looking to design something out in patterns similar to this but dont know where to start. It just looks crazy imo. Anyone know where i can learn how to do this?
orange_grunge_background_by_imageabstraction.jpg

1.jpg

bannertime

Youtube has tons of classes for this sort of stuff. Typically it's just going to be brushes in Photoshop. Illustrator will be a tad harder to create this kind of stuff.

To make it simple. Take some paint, splatter it on a contrasting medium, take a good hi-res picture, and then trace it in Flexi or Live Trace it and make vector shapes. Layer with multiple different versions of the splatter. Add some gradients. Do the same thing but with rust pictures, and layer that in. You'd end up with something very similar and it'd be your own.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Youtube and a few sites do have some instruction but I made a little how to guide... I had a client where grunge was a big deal and almost every pattern I made was based on the few steps I show here - after a while you get really fast at it...

Attachments

• TEXTURE HOW TO.jpeg
    TEXTURE HOW TO.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 226
  • TEXTURE HOW TO.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 200

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
There are brushes and other effects you can download to add to Photoshop....try Brusheezy

ADuke

I've seen where someone took a piece of metal and rusted it, took photos of it, then imported it into illustrator and used the image trace tool to vectorize it. There are also free illustrator brushes and symbols that you could download and install into illustrator to create your image.

you could also do what someone else suggested with using paint splatters (for your second image) and you could even crinkle the paper to make it more grunge looking and add texture.

200+ Free Vector Grunge Graphics for Designers and Illustrators

neato

This look has been around a while so there are boatloads of vector art and stock photos available already.

Chop Chop

Take a look at water color painting techniques like using plastic, food wrap, foil etc etc. You can create some great effects with a few simple materials. Then you can take hi res and work it a bit.

Andy D

I agree with Photoshop... Vector programs like Corel, Flexi & AI,
IMHO, can't compete with Photoshop.
About 4 years ago I had a Photoshop tutorial series that was really good
and they had several grunge type tutorials...
I want to say it was Top Secret.

rjssigns

As others have said Photoshop with grunge brushes. You can create your own brushes in Photoshop too.

0igo

Thank you all for the replies. I'll look up Photoshop tutorials then, i was looking for illustrator tutorials but couldn't find any good ones. And someone said there are lots of vectors out there but I like to be original with personal projects. Just feels better than using someone else's work lol

screener24242

if you want to do this in corel, go to advancedtshirts.com, find fashion factory. it's easier than you think......your end product are monochrome bitmaps, make various layers/ colors to get exactly what you need.