• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Anyone Know What Causes This Print Issue?

player

I have a VP-540i. This is a newer issue. The errors seem to be limited to a section on the printer width. I have cleaned the encoder strip. If it was the encoder, I would think it would not stay in the same areas.

I have had a number of issues, so I have changed out the cables, and today I put in a new mainboard.

This issue is newer, and I hope it is not related to the mainboard, as I put in a new one. I did a test print and got a goofy overlap that coincides with the same issue so I am thinking it is not fixed.

Letter B Issue.jpg

Attachments

• Letter r Issue.jpg
    Letter r Issue.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 276
  • Letter Y Issue.jpg
    Letter Y Issue.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Red Stripe Issue.jpg
    Red Stripe Issue.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 282

Biggermens

That's a new one i never seen hehe
Did you try to clean the encoder wheel too ??
What is look like When you do the test print to align the print heads ???

player

That's a new one i never seen hehe
Did you try to clean the encoder wheel too ??
What is look like When you do the test print to align the print heads ???
No I did not clean the encoder. I did not know it is a wheel, I thought it was a sensor...

I have not tried the print head alignment.

I will load some full width material tomorrow and see what it does.

Biggermens

How do I replace or flip the encoder strip?
Very Easy, Take the big long grey cover off there are a screw at the end were the carage parks and at the other end a screw with a spring
Mine is all apart, in the process of restoring it, hehe I will go take pictures,

Last edited:

Biggermens

Check that out, let me know how you make out.
I am thinking the setting from your old board might have not taken in the new board.
I see your in Toronto, you come up to Sudbury often ?? hehe

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked your encoder eye ?? But..... are you sure your heads are aligned properly ?? Encoder problems seem to make the thing print goofy completely, not double shots like that, but like mentioned, maybe it's one we've never seen before.

GTSTech_1

Perform a linear encoder setup in service mode, willing to bet it fails. New encoder reader is likely culprit. The "Wheel" encoder is for media advance, and has no bearing on shifts of color you are getting.

Just my .02

rjssigns

If it's losing steps to the right it's generally the encoder reader board. Had it happen with my SP540V. Replaced it, ran the setups and it was perfect.