• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

anyone know what this is????

RiXaX

I found this in a friends barn with the tools his dad left.

Attachments

• Whats_It.jpg
    Whats_It.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Vinylman

Can't tell for sure from the close up view you posted, BUT, my guess is it reminds me of a part from a wood workers bench called a "dog".
was placed into square hole in the top of the bench to provide a back stop for a piece being worked on the bench top. You would open the bench vice in front of the bench, place your work piece [a piece of wood to be drilled or planed with a hand held wood plane] and then put the "dog" behind the work piece. You then raise a small metal tab on the front face piece of the vice, and tighten the vice squeezing you're work piece between the "dog" and the vice face. The top of the work bench usually had several of the square holes spaced out directly in front of the vice to accommodate various lengths of work pieces.:thumb:

Suz

Weird railroad spike? Door Knocker? Shelf bracket?
Boat anchor?
What do I win?

Attachments

• SuzDoorKnocker.jpg
    SuzDoorKnocker.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Suz

Waiting with anticipation, what did he do?
The thing looks interesting, whatever it is. I like weird things. Hey, if you don't like it, you could just send it here. It would knock the socks off my existing door knocker. It could have a useful life again. Hey, there is some sort of identifying number on it, what is the number?

Give us a clue, what did he do for a living?

Marlene

how big? other views of it might help too. does the flat part at the top look like was to pound on or support something? how thick is it? it has numbers on the side, anything else? a name?

Terremoto

It looks like some kind of a die from some kind of hammer mill. Just guessing. A little more background information would help.

Dan

SignosaurusRex

Can't tell for sure from the close up view you posted, BUT, my guess is it reminds me of a part from a wood workers bench called a "dog".
was placed into square hole in the top of the bench to provide a back stop for a piece being worked on the bench top. You would open the bench vice in front of the bench, place your work piece [a piece of wood to be drilled or planed with a hand held wood plane] and then put the "dog" behind the work piece. You then raise a small metal tab on the front face piece of the vice, and tighten the vice squeezing you're work piece between the "dog" and the vice face. The top of the work bench usually had several of the square holes spaced out directly in front of the vice to accommodate various lengths of work pieces.:thumb:

....or an Anvil Hardie maybe.
Is there a large iron anvil around?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's a hammer from a hammer mill.

Hammer mills use multiple rows of these hammers afixed to a rotating drum for pulverizing everything from wood pulp to glass. If you're familiar with a flail mower, it's pretty much the same concept.

JB

Attachments

• hammer-mill.jpg
    hammer-mill.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 67