• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone know where to get 14ft Aluminum Signs?

vinylink0331

Hi everyone. I have a job to do on a 2ft by 14ft sign. It used to be acrylic. I would like to give the client another option other than the acrylic due to the fact that he will not be lighting it from behind. Aluminum may work but I don't know where to get it at 14ft. Any suggestions on where I could get something like that. Also, anyone know that cheapest place to get acrylic? I live in NC. Thanks!!

FatCat

You'll have to call a local metal distributor to find anything that size. (I had to do six 3x14 signs earlier this year on 1/8" aluminum which they cut from roll stock.) However, if you need only 1 you'll probably have a hard time getting it. Why not just use poly-metal and deal with the seam?

TwoNine

A 14' piece would have to be bought from a distributor who has roll stock AND who would be willing to sell to you (unlikely to find) - or you want weld two pieces together and grind off the seam...

As for plastics - Lexan is the way to go for 14' anything...

-Chad

vinylink0331

I have never actually used lexan before but I will check it out. I was just wondering if it is really strudy or does it bend a lot? I have to do some research on it. Thanks for all of your advice.

Billct2

So it's an electric sign box and he no longer will light it (or too cheap to fix it)?
If it is that kinda job (econo budget cheapy), flip the existing panel, paint it and letter or just cover with a full print.

nwsigns

don't try to fully weld 2 pieces together, you will end up with a warped mess. We Stitch weld those or tack em in place and use a filler strip on the back with Lords adhesive. Fill the seam with good body filler and paint away. You could do the same with any other aluminum composite panels.

MikePro

shoot, that's easy. you can make it outta 1 4x8 sheet of 1/8" aluminum.
welded, seams filled, sanded smooth, with a 1" extruded aluminum angle-frame welded to the backside for support (and give your "pan face" some dimension).

I'm with Fat Cat on the poly metal suggestion. A seam will barely be noticeable. Or my other choice would be to just go with the polycarbonate sheet. It's easy enough to get in a 14 foot length but it will probably cost you quite a bit more than the poly metal.