• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone letter on galvanized metal?

A customer wants me to letter a galvanized culvert. 30" in diameter x 14 feet long.
It's going to be stood upright and a "cap" put on it to look like a grain tower.

It's a new culvert so there's no corrosion on it but I've also read that there's special steps in preparing the surface for paint adhesion.
Has anyone lettered anything like this before? Paint or vinyl?
Need some input and tips if you have any.

It's nothing fancy, just one color (black) block lettering on one side but I don't want to take something on if it's not going to last very long.

Thanks in advance.

visual800

slap some high performance on it and be done with it. if painting I would make a mask roll some 2 part epoxy on it and then my topcoat

klmiller611

There is specific primer for galvanized metal, you need to clean it first, if it is factory fresh, then prime. Otherwise, the paint really does not hold.

I only did this for to repaint my galvanized metal running boards on a caboose, not for lettering, so your actual mileage may vary.

Ken Miller

signpronfl

Of course you can!

You must pickle the galvanize metal first with Vinegar. Once pickled you can paint on Galvanized with no problem.

I grew up priming tons of billboard panels with this method. Never had a sign peal.

Billct2

Back in the day I did the vinegar wipe to prep it, and used a primer called "GalvaGrip" by Sherwin Williams then painted.