• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone out there in 101 land refill their own OEM Roland cartridges?

signmeup

I noticed that the OEM cartridge is a bag of ink inside a plastic box that can be refilled from the ink outlet end by a blunt syringe. (the kind used for dispensing fluids in labs) I'm using aftermarket ink in cartridges and I can get the same ink in liters for 1/2 the price. Just wondered if anyone out there is doing this. If you are and it's working fine/not working, I would be interested to hear your take on the matter.

BTW... I did take an empty cartridge and a syringe and sucked out about 5 cc of ink and then squirted it back in. It was easy to see the air bubble that formed and not squirt it back in. Seems as straight forward as it sounds. Am I missing something?

Adrian

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
Yes, I refilled for MUTOH some time ago. It works Ok, but is very hard to pumpe ink into cartridge by syringe. I pumpe a full ink to bag and after this, rotary cartridge, that ink is down and syringe is up, is necessary to pull air out, when ink begin flow to syringe, is ok.
I do not recommend this proces, becouse one time, when I refilled cartridge, syringe under high presure release of cartridge and ink smash up everywhere, even in my eyes, that I must find a doctor.
DO IT VERY PRUDENTLY!!!

Triggerhappy

accident waiting to happen

i would not recommend you to do this. it`s just a bad idea, If determined to lower your ink cost, at least go for a decent ciss system, or you can find refillable cartridges on the market, and simply pour the ink.

PS1 Reducing the ink cost does not mean that you will reduce the overall print cost.
PS2 The original cartridge is nothing more than a piece of plastic, with a chip on it that WILL know it`s empty for a long time.

regards

signmeup

I did the math again and I can't be bothered. I pay 55 bucks for a 440ml cartridge. I can cut that to $32 if I refill it. Not worth saving 20 bucks. Now if I had to pay for OEM Roland cartridges It would be more viable. I may look it again after I empty another set of cartridges.

BTW... it was really easy to get the ink into the valve with the .050 blunt needle. I had no problem managing the air. Knowing how to handle needles from taking care of horses may have been a help.

2nd BTW... the ink level indicator on these cartridges is a piece of plastic that sticks out the side of the cartridge and recedes as the ink bag deflates. Pretty crude setup.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Adrian

premiercolour

Merchant Member

WalkerP

Unless you have a pencil point needle ($$$), you'll eventually core the rubber and ink will leak all over your printer. Get the refill carts. 123 easy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, in order to save $80.00 if a 4 color machine or $120.00 on a 6 color machine..... you are doing this while still making thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of prints to save $80 to $120 ??
I don't get it ?? :pops_blinking:

signmeup

People! Please carefully read post #5 again. I'm not doing it because it isn't worth the cost savings to me at this time.

I don't know what a pencil point needle is or how much "$$$" is but a DISPENSING needle is a similar device to the needles used for blowing up basketballs (only smaller). They are cheap and won't damage the rubber valve.

If you don't get it Gino, it's because you didn't read it carefully enough. :rolleyes:

Adrian

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I did the math again and I can't be bothered. I pay 55 bucks for a 440ml cartridge. I can cut that to $32 if I refill it. Not worth saving 20 bucks. Okay, you aren't gonna do it. Now if I had to pay for OEM Roland cartridges It would be more viable. I may look it again after I empty another set of cartridges. Now, you're saying you're gonna look into it again, not even 5 seconds after you said your weren't.

BTW... it was really easy to get the ink into the valve with the .050 blunt needle. I had no problem managing the air. Knowing how to handle needles from taking care of horses may have been a help.

2nd BTW... the ink level indicator on these cartridges is a piece of plastic that sticks out the side of the cartridge and recedes as the ink bag deflates. Pretty crude setup.

Adrian

You go onto all the reasons it's a good idea. Seems like you are still gonna do it, by what you wrote. Therefore, I think I did read it carefully..... and correctly. Perhaps your cross signals need some honing along with your needle point siphoning. :wink:

gabagoo

I did the math again and I can't be bothered. I pay 55 bucks for a 440ml cartridge. I can cut that to $32 if I refill it. Not worth saving 20 bucks. Now if I had to pay for OEM Roland cartridges It would be more viable. I may look it again after I empty another set of cartridges.

Adrian

OEM ink for $55.00? 440 ml that sounds way to cheap to begin with

Gino

Premium Subscriber

No, he said he is using aftermarket inks, so his prices will be less, but he wants to make them almost free........ :Big Laugh

Yep, I spent $32 on ink last week and did $3,700 worth of prints with it. Pretty neat, huh ?? Next, I'll pull an empty cartridge outta my butt and show you how to recycle them, too. :rock-n-roll:

signmeup

Rite-media ink from Allgraphicsupplies.com in Canada.($55US) 75 bucks Canadian... so almost free...

You're goin' the right way for a smack Gino...

Adrian
:Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Rite-media ink from Allgraphicsupplies.com in Canada.($55US) 75 bucks Canadian... so almost free...

Adrian

As long as you're gentle and don't make eye contact.................... :Canada 2:

Remember, your hands are registered weapons. :popcorn:

synergy_jim

Maybe I'm the weirdo here, but It doesn't bother me at all paying Roland for genuine ink.

Zero hassles and I don't worry about things working or printing right.

Charge more... Worry less.

:)

gabagoo

Adrian

Oh I see...I understand... I use Jetbest which have 500ml bottles that you suspend upside down on top of refillable cartridges that bestjet supplies. Same basic pricing for ink, but all I do is pop a new bottle onto the cartridge and never run out of ink.